Think It's Time For Piston And Rings!

pillar

I go trail riding everyweekend for almost the last year and a half with my trials bike. It's a 05 Beta rev 3 270. The power just doesn't feel the same when I crack open the throttle now.

Who has done rings or piston and rings on there 05 270??

Just want to here some feedback when people thought it to be the right time to do the job? What did your bike feel like before and then after doing the top end?

Thanks,

Chad

Haven't done a top end since my '95 but... Before bike seemed to run OK but a bit hard starting. After felt like a new bike. My guess is you just need rings. The piston and cylinder don't wear very fast with the hard surface coating on the current engines. Try just rings first and I think you'll be a happy camper.

• 2 weeks later...

BenJ,

Before doing the top end, you should try cleaning out your exhaust system. I have an '04 with probably over 600 hours on it and the orginal top end. I have cleaned the exhaust a several tiimes and each time I am amazed with the improvement. It will return the power and throttle response that you have lost. It is easy to replace the final silencer packing, but every couple of times, you need to clean the mid muffler too. You can read the article on exhaust cleaning on this website (click the "Other" link on the home page) for details. After a clean out, I promise that with a 270, you will not be wanting for more power.