Which Bike

grahambaskin

Hi guys,

i currently have a beta rev 3 250 2007, but im thinking of changing dont know which one to go for. any advice would be greatfull What is the Sherco like any one have bad experiences. I am happy with my beta but maybe would like a change. Im thinking of spending about 500 pounds along with my own.

With your budgetary restrictions I would have said you are best sticking with an 08 Beta. They rarely go wrong, are strongly built and are almost as light (in feel) as a Gasser. You may get a newer Gasser for the money but I have heard one or two people say that "getting a Beta was the best decision I ever made", and one of those people saying it had just changed from a 4RT !!!

None of todays bikes are bad, you just have to ride what you feel comfortable on. If want a change for changes sake, any 250 or the Sherco 290 will be fine. But if you want to improve and not have to re-learn your own style on a different make, stick to the Beta. After all, a certain Mr. Lampkin has done alright by them over the last 13 or 14 years...

i have hear a few complaints on the electrics within the beta, i have had a minor electric problem with my own. im really only a novice rider.

would the sherco be as well built as a beta?

I remember looking at some gasgas bikes before i got the beta i was told by so many people to stay away, that they would fall to bits, that was the 2002-2004 model. But i have a friend who bought a 2007 280pro it seems to be going great and is really nice to ride.

I wouldnt agree with a Beta Feeling as light as a GasGas, I went from a Beta to a GasGas and found the feel of it to be alot lighter. we can go on forever about which bike is best though hehe.

personally I would say if you like to hop the bike around and like doing rocks etc go for a GasGas or a Sherco, I dont know much about Sherco's though, the only thing I do know is that ive never heared anyone complain about them?

Beta's are good bikes for clubmen, stuff that involves tight turns but I dont like how the suspension feels, I rode an 08 and the engine felt alot perkier than the 07. the turning circle on them is amazing too as you already know!

4rt, ive had limited time on one of these but when ive been on one I think it could be a cracking bike once you get to grips with riding it, definatly suited to older style riders where smoothness is the key (I wish i could ride like that!!), My only gripe is that it felt heavy.

Scorpa are bombproof, very good bike for the Novice rider, dead forgiving and very smooth, If i was just looking for something to jump on and go, id get a scorpa. carb is a bitch to get off though...

as for Xispa, you could buy 10 and just throw them away as you break them! this is based only on comments ive seen about bad build quality though!

All the best

Tom

I found my Sherco surprisingly well put together,cant knock them for that, feels like a push bike in size and weight,the Betas seem to be getting ever more fragile these days,got a few mates with them and they all have problems from Stators,woodruffs and casing destruction 07's and 08's. Never owned one but I have rode the Scorpa and its a nice bike and very well made,some bits are awkward to service but its something that doesnt need doing as often as many other bikes. I would love a Gasser again but I know I will get the bad one out of the batch so no chance,probably the nicest ride of all the bikes. The Mont isnt for everyone but is by far the best made, most reliable and requires next to bugger all maintenance compared to any two stroke. Yer the Monts big and heavy but thats what makes it so stable and the suspension is something else.

Edited by The Addict

Yamaha TY250 Mono Pinky: Good points:, air cooled, front disc brake, rear drum, well protected air filter, easy to work on. Six speed box, quick on the road, reasonable fuel capacity and if access to older steel tank then superb fuel capacity (plastic tank is still good capacity), brilliant and easy machine to work on and fantastically balanced and easy to ride.

Probably the best balanced and most well designed bike of all the trials bikes

Bad points: not many! - tube type rear tyre, rear wheels have 'Z' type spokes which Yamaha no longer supply (Birketts do em but they aint readily available) narrow footrests which dig into your feet. (You can get a Hebo fiiting kit from Birketts which needs a welding job but is well worth the effort). Pink mudguards - nice if you are in touch with your feminine side!!

must be THE MOST RELIABLE AND WELL MADE TRIALS BIKE OF ALL TIME!!

Cheers Eiger

Eiger Posted Today, 05:34 PM

Pink mudguards - nice if you are in touch with your feminine side!!

I once covered my Sherco in Pink Camouflage just for a laugh. It worked, I got many laughs and questions about my preferences in "partners"

And no major problems with my 2000 Sherco 2.9. Just normal maintenance and the occasional broken lever etc....

Did do a rebuild last winter. So 7 or 8 yrs before a rebuild not bad.

My biggest complaint is with the skid plate mounts not being beefy enough (I modified mine) but I think thats been sorted in the newer bikes.

Edited by ZIPPY