160 Cc Gas Gas

thundercat

Hi all,

I'm totally new to trials after racing crossers yrs ago so dont know much at all about trials bikes, but we have the internet to find out all we need so here goes, trouble is i've searched and searched about this bike and cant find any info at all so i thought i'd ask you guys, any info /opinions would be greatly appreciated. Its going to be a first trials bike for me (i'm a pretty lightweight adult 38 yrs old) seller describes bike as having enough grunt for an adult, i aint no dougie lampkin so would be entering beginner trials. Its described as a 1997 160 CC Gas Gas. I cant afford anything newer so pls dont say get something a bit newer as i cant afford, these trial bikes seem to cost a small fortune !! opinions and info pretty please...

Hi all,

I'm totally new to trials after racing crossers yrs ago so dont know much at all about trials bikes, but we have the internet to find out all we need so here goes, trouble is i've searched and searched about this bike and cant find any info at all so i thought i'd ask you guys, any info /opinions would be greatly appreciated. Its going to be a first trials bike for me (i'm a pretty lightweight adult 38 yrs old) seller describes bike as having enough grunt for an adult, i aint no dougie lampkin so would be entering beginner trials. Its described as a 1997 160 CC Gas Gas. I cant afford anything newer so pls dont say get something a bit newer as i cant afford, these trial bikes seem to cost a small fortune !! opinions and info pretty please...

Hi Thundercat. I'm not an expert but I remember riding one of those at a test day around 1997 and thinking what a nice bike it was at the time. They are designated a 200 although they are only actually 160cc. The 200 is yellow rather than the 250s which are red. I'm 13 stone and ride a 200 Beta and find that it has plenty enough power for easier sections and a smaller engine makes the bike feel lighter and easier to turn. The Gas Gas is probably a bit sharper than the Beta 200 which is very softly tuned. If you don't think that a 160 has enough power then have a look at what the schoolboys can do on a 125. You only need more power if you are looking at big steps or sections that are thick with gloop.

If its in reasonable condition then buy it. I'm sure you'll find it easier to start with than a bigger bike.

Best Regards

Sam.

Thanks for that sam/neils on wheels, thats reassuring, yes it seems in good nick, yep about the schoolboys on the 125's lol...i've seen them on youtube and i dont plan on doing anything like that..i'm about 10 1/2 stone after a right good sunday roast lol... and i used to race 125 crossers so if thats anything to go by i fully understand what a 125 can do, i'm just after a bit of reassurance that a 160 trial bike would be enough for me, for the next few yrs at least anyway as i've never even had a go on a trials bike so i have no idea of the power :(

Edited by Thundercat

Id disagree with sam about the schoolboys, riding a 125 is a completely different style when it comes to steps, though they are able to get up big stuff, having a bigger engine would make it a damn sight easier for them.

as for the 200, ive ridden an 08 200 breifly and it felt like a really nice well rounded bike. i cant comment on one 11 years older though. also, the 200 isnt really a very popular bike because its inbetween a 125 and a 250. and because of this they can be hard to sell on.

my personal advice would be to get a 250, if its an older bike your buying it should be fine for you to start out on. the power wont be too much and if you fancy getting something newer at a later date you shouldnt have much problem selling it.

if you dont mind me asking, whats your budget? a few people on here may be able to suggest alternatives to help you get the best for your money.

All the best

Tom

Hi Thundercat,

The 160 would have enough power for you for entry level trials, it is a really user friendly bike, the only down side of this size Gas Gas is that, as has been mentioned before, it may be hard to sell on. There is a supply problem with pistons for this particular motor so if there is any hint of piston slap, I would leave well alone. Best bet would be a similar aged GG 250.

Bye, PeterB.

• 4 weeks later...

• 6 months later...

Hi,

New here, and completely new to off road riding.

Came across this topic as I'm also thinking about one of these. I'm a bit heavier at 16st and just over 6ft.

Do these bikes have different frame sizes for adults/children?

Any known issues with the 160?

Thanks

Rick.