Gasgas Txt 270 1999 Clutch Replacement

bhg

I need to fit new clutch plates to my GasGas TXT 270 1999

1. Can I do this by simply removing the cicular cover, or does the side casing have to be removed?

2. Is there anything I should be aware of that may not be obvious.

I have fitted a new clutch to a 125 Suzuki, but it was cable operated, air cooled, and I had a workshop manual !!!!!!!

I need to fit new clutch plates to my GasGas TXT 270 1999

1. Can I do this by simply removing the cicular cover, or does the side casing have to be removed?

2. Is there anything I should be aware of that may not be obvious.

I have fitted a new clutch to a 125 Suzuki, but it was cable operated, air cooled, and I had a workshop manual !!!!!!!

The 99' is pretty straightforward and I doubt you will have any trouble, the sidecover is all you need to remove. It would be a good time to replace the trans oil as you can drain out the old oil, place the bike on it's side, replace the clutch and pour 650-700cc's of oil over the clutch to refill the trans case.

A tip is to use a new T-handle Allen wrench (or grind off about 10mm off the tip of an old one) to keep from stripping the small buttonhead screws. Tap the head of the T-handle with a small hammer to "shock" the screws and they will usually come out easily.

Jon

Hello bhg, Jon,

All of Jon's advice and a bit more.....

I usually use a drift to shock the 4 small allen screws loose on the round cover when the motor is warm.

There are 5 or 6 - can't remember, 8mm hex head bolts holding the clutch springs in, with the pressure plate - do not overtighten. The pressure plate has a raised "dash" cast onto the outside next to one spring location, when assembling, this should line up with one of the clutch hub spring posts that has a "dash" stamped on the top of it.

Under the pressure plate is a thrust bearing and a short mushroom pushrod, if the mushroom pushrod falls out (eg: if you tip the bike over to get the final fewplates out of the basket) look out for the ball bearing that is located inbetween the mushroom pushrod and the long pushrod - you'll see what I mean when you pull the clutch out. Do not loose this bearing in the gearbox area.

Clutch plate pack has one plate that is half fibre and half plain, this goes in first fibre side into the basket.

Bye, PeterB.

Under the pressure plate is a thrust bearing and a short mushroom pushrod, if the mushroom pushrod falls out (eg: if you tip the bike over to get the final fewplates out of the basket) look out for the ball bearing that is located inbetween the mushroom pushrod and the long pushrod - you'll see what I mean when you pull the clutch out.

And how many Bulto owners have put all back together again and couldn't figure out why the clutch doesn't work?