Please Help Someone!

zoup2nuts

Hello, I posted a question asking for help in eliminating an oil leak that is coming from the bottom of the oil-level sight glass. It appears to be leaking from a rubber ring the glass is probably pressed into. The glass is worthless anyhow, would there be any chance a rubber plug could be glued in in place of the sight-glass and I wouldn't have to remove the left-side cover.

My other question is what might it entail taking the cover off and replacing the ring or seal (whichever it is)? Am I going to encounter a gasket when I take the cover off and have to deal with that too?

At first I didn't think it was losing that much, but I'm now thinking differently...thanks for any help...Bob

p.s. I've had 146 views, but no answers on my last post...

Gday, Im no Fantic expert but -

You could probably seal it externally with "3 Bond" and save the hassle of removing the cover. Clean it very well first with Brake cleaner or similar. There will be a gasket behind the cover, so plan on that if you do replace it. Is there a chance you can measure the sight glass and then compare to say one from a kawasaki. Most of these things are built like an oil seal on the outside and so are similar in dimension to source a replacement. A Rubber plug wouldn't be a good choice as the oil will perish it and you would end up with a leak bigger than what you have now.

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork

Thanks Stork,

I thought of using an oil/heat resistant silicone, guess it wouldn't harm anything if it doesn't work. I'm reluctant to take off the cover and maybe create something worse than I now have...the darned thing runs very strong right now...just that unsightly leak...I recently drained and measured the oil and put it back in so I could do the same and compare after a few hours of riding to see just how much I'm losing. I know it doesn't take much to look like a lot...Bob

Hi Zoup2nuts,

i'm not sure how to fix your sight glass leak but if your worried about damaging the gasket could you (just a suggestion mind) buy a sheet of gasket paper and using the old one as a template make a new one ;) and if the gaskets beyond using as a template you could clean the side casing smear grease on it carefully place it on the gasket paper and remove carefully and you should have the outline of the shape you need to make a new gasket, and just to be doubly sure you could use some instant gasket on it too with your new gasket to ensure a good seal. By the sound of things you wont get your sight glass fixed permanently without removing the side casing.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I appreciate the tip and I'm not overly worried about that part, but not sure what I'm going to find when I open it up and if there will be a problem finding another seal or o-ring or whatever the sight-glass is pressed into...I'm going to try an earlier suggestion on a sealant and if that doesn't work, I'll pull the cover...Bob

ok, I couldn't find either of the above, but used some red silicone designed for high temps and oil-resitant. I put on two applications Sunday afternoon and checked it about 4 hours later and so far, no leak...I didn't fire it up as I wanted it to cure overnight...if that doesn't work, I'm biting the bullet and taking the left-side cover off...if I do, will anything fall out that I can't figure out how to put back?...Bob