Majesty - Is This A Bad Idea?

johnnyboxer

I have a Majesty 200 and want to improve the forks and fork action!

I'm thinking about fitting a Pinky front end (with better forks) and a front disc brake.

I already have a set of 175 yokes, which have been milled out to accept the larger diameter TY Mono stanchions

Is that not really in the spirit of Twinshock (I see plenty of TLR's with a front disc!!)

Any pitfalls, will I be excluded from the Twinshock classes?

Would the forks from a TY250 Twinshock be a better bet than the 175 forks already fitted??

Questions.......................???

Alternatively is there anyone who could tune the 175 forks, to improve the spring rate and damping (not frightened to spend a bit doing this option, unless it gets silly)

TY250 forks do have a better action than TY175 forks for people over a certain weight (damping and springing) and using them will preserve the existing steering geometry (being in-line axle and can be set to provide the same ride height). They are 34mm diameter though so would be too small for your bored out triple clamps.

TY mono forks have a better damping action than TY250 twinshock forks but being leading axle will reduce the steering trail. A better bet would be to use TY mono triple clamps too but this requires work to get the steering stops right.

Both the TY250 twinshock and TY mono forks are heavier than TY175 forks.

I wouldn't complain about someone using TY mono forks on a Majesty because they are comparable in performance with the forks seen on late model twinshock bikes. We have a manufacturing cutoff date of 1987 here for twinshock bike technology so there would probably be no issues. I've seen TY mono forks and front wheel working quite well on a heavily modified RL250 too.

• 2 weeks later...