Some Silly Noob Questions!

nicks_tr34

New to trials, a friend and I intend to have a got at competing (just local club level - beginner for me B) ) I now have a bike, but I don't have any trials specific 'gear'.

So a few questions.

Do I need an ACU licence?

To compete at club level, do I need an ACU stamped open face helmet? Or just a BS stamped helmet? i.e. any helmet will do?

Can I get away with using road boots? (I have lots of old ROAD gear I could potentially use) I have some Alpinestar Supertechs I was thinking of using to start with as they have great ankle protection coz they are like ski boots!! :D but I also have some 'normal' leather bike boots I could use.

Kind of a follow on to the above - Do I have to get all the riding clobber, or can I turn up in jeans and a army jacket with some light gardening gloves??

I know, I know ;) but I'm simply too tight to splash out on all the proper gear until I see if it is my cuppa!!

I'm gonna keep a lookout on eBay for 2nd hand kit (I'll buy a NEW lid mind). Any brands of boots and other clobber to avoid? I know the big brand names in road gear, what are the ones in trials??

Sorry for all the numpty/noob questions, but thanks in advance for any advise!! :P

Edited by Nicks_TR34

Welcome Nicks-TR34, ;)

Nowt wrong with asking questions ...so here's an answer;

Join a local club first ( local people with all the relevant answers) and they will be able to advise you on how to go about joining the ACU.

As for riding gear this is what the ACU book states:-

''Clothing must cover legs and body and it is recommended that arms should be covered.Boots of appproximately knee length must be worn...Motorcycle helmets, which must be correctly fitted,must be worn by all..riders.

The wearing of gloves is recommended for all..competitors''.

So there you are:- 2 'recommendeds' and 2 'musts '.

Hope you go on to enjoy messing about on a trials bike as much as I have done in the last 11 years..been crocked for about 6 months and, God, I miss it.

Nick, you need more ankle flexibility than supertechs will allow. Same goes for MX boots that are attractive as they are a lot cheaper than trials boots. Old, low tech road boots will be adequate until you get a taste for it.

The gear is comfortable, but not essential, but I'd recommend some trozzers. Any trozzers really as your pipe cleaner legs will offend...

I bought Raw Sports and they are pretty good. Paid about