Easing In Newbies?

grahamjayzee

I think I ought to clear something up here! I'm not knocking the ACU and I most certainly am not knocking the clubs who are the lifeblood of the sport and I'd willingly donate my kidneys to. If they wanted them of course.

I was just intersted in looking into smoothing the path of newbies into the sport.

Scorpa3, you run a tidy ship and that sort of service is ideal, but that advice is only open to you once contact has been made. I know, I know, if you join the club this is all there for freemans, but my scaredy mates see club joining as the irreversible move to the sections and they weren't ready for that.

I think my nirvana would be a page full of trials dates with a simple column to indicate the centre and the club. From there, we would have instantly known which club to contact. And then maybe the licence issue might not have been a problem because I would have spoken to someone like Scorpa3 and been quids in! I guess the focus is on the ACU because they are the sport's governing body so have a bit of responsibility!

Anyway, let's not throw any criticism, it works perfectly for most people (apart from girly newbies that join in november and live miles apart!)

Graham

I think I ought to clear something up here! I'm not knocking the ACU and I most certainly am not knocking the clubs who are the lifeblood of the sport and I'd willingly donate my kidneys to. If they wanted them of course.

Don't worry Graham, I think your question's a good one and well worth discussing. I know I'm not the man to answer your question, but thought I'd forward my thoughts on this and very similar issues.

Bilco was once held down and severely tickled by a gang of top ACU men and since that grim day has not been able to resist a little ACU dig :)

Judging by his constant interest in the ACU funding I suspect he's a bit of a banker or something. :guinness:

P.S. Bilco....in case there's any doubt, this is semi humorous attempt at banter from my point of view, I'm not particularly passionate about the subject, so feel free to ignore me if I'm annoying ya buddy :o

P.P.S Our club would like to bagsy your left kidney if there's much left of it, we've got a few candidates for it and will raffle it at the AGM. Thanks.

Edited by bikespace

feel free to ignore me if I'm annoying ya buddy :)

Thanks.

bikespace,Ignore you why would i want to ignore you,your the only ****er that wants to talk to me anymore.

I hear the suicide rate goes up over the christmas period so stay tuned in for me i might want to talk to you,or invite me round for christmas dinner,i've heard the murder rate goes up aswell :guinness:

Edited by bilc0

dates - due to the devolved nature of the ACU, the ACU nationally (ie the HQ in Rugby) only knows about the national dates, and thus can tell the public through hosting the national dates list somewhere on the ACU website. that sort of list then gets on sites like trials central. each of the 20 centres (plus Scotland and the non territorials) has it's own dates for local events be they of centre or even club level. my centre does a dates list, with is very comprehensive and i'm sure most do the same, but they are never collated anywhere to make one master list. beyond that there are the club trials, which often only the club publicises to it's own members.

now on the other hand the AMCA, although it doesn't have many trials, because of it's centralised nature, is able to publish (in TMX and on it's website) a very comprehensive list of events, contact details, etc.

given this technical impass, many people, including this site have tried to construct a national dates listing, but due the enormity of the data entry required, it depends upon willing volunteers from each club to enter the data. i struggle to remember to enter my own club's events, let alone the vast number of events in my centre.......

TMX's dates is probably one of the best ones out there, but not as complete as you desire.......

so no really good answer for you on that one

Rabie, yep, that's the conclusion I have drawn.

It's a real shame because it would make situations like the one myself and my friends are in where we are spread to the 4 winds so much easier!

I'm slowly compiling a list and will make it available to anyone who wants it. It may help someone in 2009!

regarding the ACU membership; I got my card(s) through this week and 2008 and 2009 cards are identical apart from colour. I have to say though, I can see no reason why a simply 'valid from' date could not have been typed on the rear and this would have simplified the whole process of us guys getting started late in the season.

Oh well, we got there in the end!

Graham

re card, as a club that does a lot of mx and trials and a few enduros, we find that most MX & enduro guys have a wallet full of cards, often the last few (3+) ACU cards, and 6+ different clubs (ACU, AMCA, OPRA, etc, etc). having a different coloured ACU card is a brilliant move for checking validity instantly (although no one seams to examine if they say trials, mx, etc on them). on the other hand we as riders/member would find it much easier to have a rolling 12 month membership (say from your first joining date or your birthday). trade off i would think ......

Don't get me wrong Rabie, I can understand that the ACU doesn't really have the resources to administer rolling dates or anything other than a 'one size fits all' system. My point is that we could use a bit of flexibility to make it easier for noobs to get out there and get trialling. There are lots of things to learn about and get in order when you start (it's so much easier after you have started because you know that much more and it's clearer in your head); the ACU section could be simplified just for this minority without affecting anyone else.

we (as year round trials riders) need to convince a system that deal mainly with seasonal sports (eg grass track, road race and mx) who for them have an off season, and thus find it eminently convenient. i can see and sympathise with where you are coming from, but we've (as reformers) have yet to convince the powers that be/answered sufficiently all their concerns

If your mate is riding Thames trials.........there are loads of AMCA trials in that area. No licence, or club membership required. Just turn up & ride.

Check out - Horsham Riders, Worthing, Bognor, RRND & North Hants clubs.

Don't know about Cambridge area though, that might be strictly ACU!

If your mate is riding Thames trials.........there are loads of AMCA trials in that area. No licence, or club membership required. Just turn up & ride.

Check out - Horsham Riders, Worthing, Bognor, RRND & North Hants clubs.

Don't know about Cambridge area though, that might be strictly ACU!

Thanks HRC1, I've stumbled across this recently. It's even harder to find information that with the ACU though!

We've got the Dabber's club around Cambridge way and as you said, there is a very strong AMCA presence darn sarf. We'll have a go and I'm willing to bet that the trials are much the same as for ACU ones!

The thing is, for noobs it looks like the ACU can learn from the AMCA. It's EASY to get along and get involved. For regular hardened sea salts the ACU procedures are no real problem, but for noobs they do look like avoidable hurdles.