Ty175 Silencer And Reeds

kimpybugalugs

I have just bought a second hand Sammy Miller silencer and some Boyesen reeds for my otherwise standard TY175. Has anyone else fitted similar and what changes did you have to make (if any) to the carb settings? Were any jetting changes required?

Carbs are a dark art to me and any help will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'll be able to understand it.

kimpybugalugs,I fitted the Boyesen reeds to my TY175 and had to increase the pilot jet from the 25 to 27.5, it did run with the 25 but is better with the 27.5 as the mixture screw is back out to 1,5 turns. I have got an old cigar shape miller tail pipe fitted also. The carb is one of the all important parts and if its not set just right will give you all kinds of problems, have a look on the net and you will find loads of info on how to set them up.

Hi kimpybugalugs,

Could i suggest that if your ty is running well at the moment that you make a note of all your present carb settings before changing the reed valves. Count the number of turns on the mixture screw,(count the number of turns clockwise until it bottoms; do not over tighten(!) then count back out the same to return the screw to its original position, check the throttle slide and make a note of which groove the needle clip is in and write down the sizes of the main and pilot jets. This way you can return everything to original if you have to. Its easy to forget where things were once you start swapping jets, adjusting the mixture screw, etc etc. If you find carburation a bit of a black art then at least you can get back to where you started! I have not fitted boyesen reeds myself so i cant comment on any adjustments etc in that respect. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. Good idea to note where the settings are at before I play with it.

I am of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school but I couldn't resist these parts as I got them for a good price.

Hopefully I won't put them on, not get it all to work properley and then take them off, return it to standard and have to sell the bits.

• 1 month later...

So I finally got started on fitting the Sammy Miller tail pipe and it doesn't fit.

The "S" bend that goes around the back of the rear shock is too shallow and it fouls the shock.

I have talked to a number of exhaust places and they don't really want to know as;

1. It's Aluminium and it'll work harden and break

2. It's already got bends in it and won't fit in any benders

Has anyone else had this sort of issue and if so how did you fix the problem?

I may have to get something fabricated and welded on which'll end up costing me more that I paid for the silencer?

Maybe I should sell it and get one of those sexy WES one piece jobbies from JK Hirst?

Any help greatly appreciated.

So I finally got started on fitting the Sammy Miller tail pipe and it doesn't fit.

The "S" bend that goes around the back of the rear shock is too shallow and it fouls the shock.

The WES muffler pipe is straight and misses the shock so unless your muffler has the entry pipe on the "wrong" side, there is something pretty strange going on.

Have a look here for all your TY info,the guy who owns the site has alot of knowledge about these bikes http://www.tytrials.co.uk/

Thanks. I have got stuff from these guys a couple of times and had brilliant service (even to New Zealand). John is very helpful. But I'm not sure if I'm cheeky enough to ring (or email) him and start asking advice about a second hand part I got somewhere else?

Some day I hope to buy lots more from them (gear shift repair kit, electronic ignition, etc, etc) but the way our $ is at the moment - ouch.

Some day I hope to buy lots more from them (gear shift repair kit, electronic ignition, etc, etc) but the way our $ is at the moment - ouch.

Here likewise, some good stuff listed there!

Unfortunately it may be a long wait for our dollar to go up too :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...
kimpybugalugs,I fitted the Boyesen reeds to my TY175 and had to increase the pilot jet from the 25 to 27.5, it did run with the 25 but is better with the 27.5 as the mixture screw is back out to 1,5 turns. I have got an old cigar shape miller tail pipe fitted also. The carb is one of the all important parts and if its not set just right will give you all kinds of problems, have a look on the net and you will find loads of info on how to set them up.

Got all the bits on yesterday - Miller tail pipe, Boyesen reeds, high flow airfilter and bigger pilot jet as suggested by Andy.T. No carb adjustment needed and bike went through it's first trial today with no problems. It's now a lot crisper and more grunt from next to no revs.

Thanks for your help.