How Much Crankcase Oil In The Txt50

barfy

How much oil does the TXT50 take in the crankcase?

According to the handbook it says 500cc, but I just drained the oil there was only a small amount. When I filled it again it took about 140cc when it was about 1/2 way up the transparent window.

According to the handbook it says 500cc, but I just drained the oil there was only a small amount. When I filled it again it took about 140cc when it was about 1/2 way up the transparent window.

From what I can find, it takes 450cc's. You can't tell by the inspection window when first filling it up, as the oil needs to "settle in" and fill all the cavities in the case. I like to assume that filling the window viewing area means that it is up to capacity as it would seem intuitive to design it that way, but it's not always the case.

Jon

I'm concerned that it has only taken about 140cc of oil when it should have been taking three times more. So I've taken off the clutch casing and removed the clutch now to see if this will drain more oil when the bike is on its side. However, there has only been an extra dribble, as you'd expect if it's been drained from the sump plug.

Are there any oil ways between the gearbox and clutch that could have become blocked?

HOLD ON!!

One sure way to wreck the clutch basket needle bearing is over filling the crankcase. The sump only holds a small amount, not the 450/500cc as stated in the workshop manuals etc - they are wrong. Use the sight glass to access the level.

If you over fill (as I did once) you will put too much hyraulic drag on the auto clutch pack and ruin the needle bearing that carries the centre hub of the clutch pack on the input shaft.

Be careful & good luck

I have just got my son the 08 tx 50 cadet

I had to get gas gas uk to send me the manual as my dealer did not have it when i bought the bike.

It actually states to use 500cc but someone has scored this out with a pen before i received the manual and wrote in 550cc.

I know this actually makes your situation worse from what you are saying but just be careful you dont under fill it.

It would seem strange gas gas uk changing this in my manual if it where not correct.

Let me know how you get on, as i would like to know myself.

Edited by chunkies

barfly are you refering to a TXT50 'Boy' or a 'Cadet'?

My son has a 2005 TXT50 'BOY' and i have had a similar experience. If you put the reccomended 500cc of oil in then you will find that it simply gets blown out of the crank case breather and depending where the pipe finishes, can make a bit of an oily mess. I also fully agree with mashman that to much oil can cause more problems.

I still haven't got to the bottom of this issue and would be interested in any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks Tom

Hi all ~ I recently bought an 02 txt50 and encountered the same problem. After draining and refilling twice I checked with the UK importers and they advised all the manuals are wrong and should state 150ml/cc.

Best regards.

John

I was told 150ml.

As this seems very little, and very different to the manual's stated 500ml (????), I measured the oil that I drained first time after buying the bike (06 Boy second hand) and 140ml came out.

On this basis so far I am carefully going with 150ml but am still a little concerned / confused by the manual...surely a prompt reprint would have been in order when the manuals were first issued with such a fundamental error, if that's what it is?

(The sight glass is useless so it would help to know!)

i sent gas gas uk this email

i recently purchased a new 08 50cc cadet from Norman Watts in N.Ireland

In the user manual which you kindly forwarded to me direct, it says to put in 500cc of crankcase oil, yet this has been scored out and written in with pen 550cc.

Recently a have been reading a post on a trials bike forum called trials central.

On the gas gas section there is a bit of confusion on how much crankcase oil to put in to this particular bike.

Some are saying as little 150cc of oil

Could you please clarify for me exactly how much oil to use the next time i change it as i do not want any damage coming to the bike due to misleading print in the manual.

I`m sure it would also help other gas gas users to know this.

Many thanks

this is reply they sent back;

The TXT 50 Boy requirements are 150ml of gear oil.

The 50 and 80 Cadet and Rookie models are recommended 600ml of oil. But it should be approximately 1/2 way up the sight glass whatever. 550ml is probably about right if it has just been drained rather than split open and overhauled.

Hope this helps.