How Do You Know Which Gear?

nicks_tr34

new to trials and in the small amount of practice I have done, I have never been 100% sure which gear to choose.

at the bottom of a steep climb, there is a tendency to take a runup and use momentum to carry you throgh, you can obviously select a low gear and use the torque and traction to get you up ... or something in between, but how do you know?

is it better to do the slower/more controlled or rush up as fast as possible, potentially running out of revvs near the top?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends how low geared your bike is and how much it likes to rev out. A lot of the more modern bikes are fairly high geared and really rev. I'd have thought that on your bike you'll be looking at at least 2nd for most normal smallish climbs - 3rd perhaps if it's a big climb and/or you haven't got much grip. If it's wet and muddy you'll be doing most things in 2nd I reckon. Only use 1st if it's really tight and you've got loads of grip. Also as you're starting out don't be afraid to try something different like a different gear if you fail a section the first time.

Oh yes and at the bottom of any climb, especially a slippery one, concentrate on getting your weight back and feeding all the power in as you hit the base of the climb, as the suspension compresses. You'll then probably find that you can come off the power a little and use the over-run to get you over the top.

Edited by Wherry

The 4rt is unlike any bike I have had to date, 1st gear for just about everything unless 1st gear wont be fast enough to go up or over something. 3rd and 4th gears just dont work on the 4rt in the sloppy stuff as the motor wont die down like a two stroke so ring its guts out in first if fast enough to get through. I have down geared my Mont alot and it still goes quick enough for most climbs in 1st and seems to be the only gear that kills the torque at high revs aiding grip.

Second on a 2 stroke just about covers most stuff unless bloody tight turns and big big climbs, try a few sections in different gears and learn how your bike copes best,nothing like practice

Edited by The Addict

Probably a good idea as well to choose your gear for that attempt and stick with it through the section, even if it means revving the nuts off the bike or slipping the clutch a good bit. You'll see lots of riders changing gear half-way through a section, and sometimes, although not often, it is necessary. When you're starting out though you've got plenty enough going on without worrying about changing gears in the section - stick with the one you've chosen. Unless you've got your balance and confidence well sorted you'll hit a neutral at just the wrong moment and end up on your ar$e. Oh and Good Luck to you and Graham. May the best man win.........

when theres loads of grip and its dry id use 2nd if its reasonably steap but if its like propper sloppy id use 3rd and get high revs and then try and get the best run up i can....

Thats on a 125 though

best way to find out would be to try it in the gear u thinka nd then if it dont work just use anotehr until it feels good enough.