Drowned Beta 270

topcat13

Hi everyone.

Whilst out last weekend I managed to drop my bike into a rather deep pool and get it completely drowned!

I have stripped down carb, airbox, replaced gearbox oil etc etc etc.

I've put it all back together and got it running but it seems to be running very rich and wont pick up or rev out.

Has anyone managed to drown their bike in the past and had same problem, or can anyone give me some clue/advice as what to try next (apart from dont drown bike!).

When putting carb back together I noticed the main jet is a 150. I think most people run a 130.

I was wondering if maybe I should try a 130 jet and see what happens.

Any info gratefully received.

If the bike ran fine before then I wouldn't mess with the jetting until you get it running properly, as it just adds another factor to the problem. I've drowned a bike or three in the past :thumbup: and the best thing is to keep it running to burn off any water left in the cases.

Keep changing the gear oil and replace the exhaust packing (is the exhaust completely empty of water?)

Hi Kinell,

I've replaced the exhaust packing and the exhaust is completely water free, and I'll keep replacing the gear oil.

The bike has ran for almost an hour since I put it back together-i'm sure that this should be long enough to get any water out of cases. I was going to try the jet thing in case i've disturbed anything whilst putting back together. Does a 150 main jet seem to be on the large size? I understand all bikes are different, and yes the bike ran fine with this before the water got in!

Cheers

TC

It's been running for an hour - on tickover or riding about?

I've been a long way out each time I've drowned a bike, so I've had to make do and get it running to get back to base. They tend to run ****e for a while then sound perfect 100 yards away from the van! :thumbup:

150 main jet sounds familiar, probably the standard size to be honest. If in doubt, strip the carb down again and blow the jets through with compressed air...