nigel dabster

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HMMMMM!

Sherco started as copy of GasGas

Xispa is accused of being a copy of Sherco

Greeves has been accused of copying Sherco.

So all the "New" bikes are just a copy of GasGas?

:thumbup:

But could you take any of the engine parts and straight swap them, I reckon you could with the Sherco and the Xispa and by the look of it the Greeves as well they are that much of a copy.

I can't think of any that straight swap on the Gasgas to the Sherco

Obviously all trials bikes are going to be pretty similar and I think they will be for a long time to come, It would be nice to see something totally new but it's going to cost a small fortune to do it.

I was using sarcasm. :thumbup:

it can be argued that all bikes can be traced back as copies to the first bicycle with a motor.

Although I do find it amusing that now there is a British manufacturer making a modern trials bike and there are all sorts of comments on how they can make the product better, that having another manufacturer can only be a GOOD thing for the sport and how everyone hopes they can pull it off and have a production bike that is successful. But when Xispa was first mentioned there were a multitude of comments on how another manufacturer will make things financially difficult for the other existing brands and possibly put them out of business, How the bike is total crap, and that the bike will never hold up in a trial.

Geez make up your mind,

Is another brand of trials bike good for the sport or bad?

or does it matter what country the main office is in.

I doubt you could change the crankshaft as its greeves own unless they copied it

Dave

I'm not doubting it's there own and I've not seen it so I probably shouldn't be thinking it is a copy but look at the crank cases all the screws are in identical position to the Sherco ones, it does look like the cases on the greeves may have been machined more or possibly machined out of a solid billet but I'd have to look a bit closer to be sure. It would be interesting if they have, perhaps this is where some of the weight has been saved.

My guess is Sherco have no legal design rights over their engine so Xispa and Greeves have taken it as a excellent starting point, copied everything and then trimmed parts down to reduce weight or changed them to improve the design, the Barrel and head on the Greeves is obviously different and they have given a good valid reason for why they think it is an improvement.

Personally I can't wait for them both to come out and I hope they will both do well, I just hope it doesn't affect Shercos sales to much for them to survive these difficult times.

Just got to really looking at the new Greeves. If that Big boxy black thing under the rear mudguard is fuel tank, it sure looks like it would be very easily damaged and leak fuel all over. ;)

Edited by ZIPPY