On/off Switch Clutch

whiz

Hi Folks

Rode the yoiung uns Rev 4t today and the clutch was like a switch very on or very off with sod all in between, very heavy to use as well.

searched the forum and can find lots about the dragging clutch issues but not this particular problem, anyone have any advice?.

He seems used to it but I`m keen to try and improve it if I can.

Any thoughts or advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Whiz

ps; haven`t actually looked at it yet It`s bl---y baltic in that shed!

I have had a Rev4T for a few months now and still cannot get over how light the clutch is. it is lighter than my one year old Rev3. When i changed the oil to 15/50 fully synth oil the clutch went a little on off where it was a little smoother with the 10/40 semi synth the last guy was using. FWIW he was not a rev-it-and-dump-the-clutch guy

Wow, Dan's post from over a year ago is spot on! I'm tempted to take the afternoon off from work and pull my clutch out to apply this fix. I say tempted because it's just now reached 30 degrees from this morning's 8 degrees. That means it would take a couple of hours to get the space heater roaring hot and the garage comfy enough to wrench in and not see your breath.

My Rev 3's clutch has always been on-off with no real middle ground. :( Dan's pictures explain everything - thanks!

You're welcome but remember the fluid has a lot to do with it as well. Some fluids like ATF contain friction enhancers which can make the clutch very abrupt too.

Having said that though I can tell you I love the modified clutch on my '08 as much as I loved the clutch on the '05 with the modification. They behave exactly the same which is unusual for Betas with the clutch in stock form. Finding two Beta clutches that act the same is like finding two peanuts exactly the same shape. It happens but it's pretty rare.

Having a 2000 you might also want to have a look at your clutch basket for wear from the fiber plate tabs as well. If you do the modification it will take the plates a few hours to settle in as they have to wear in slightly to the basket grooves again. The optimum would be to have a jig that exactly matched the basket dimensions and dress the fiber plate tabs as a pack to precisely match the basket but that was way too much effort and money for me to get into. Just dressing the tabs and cleaning up the plates gets you 90% of the way there.

Edited by Dan Williams

Dans post from ages back is great, I have just purchased an 08 rev4 and the clutch is extremely on/off. Last night my old man had his first go on the bike and it went from under him as he was used to my old gasgas that had miles of clutch modulation. Im going to be doing that this weekend, just need to find a jewellers file :(

Mike

Thanks Dan, points well taken! I'm running Redline synthetic 75w90 which seems to be an improvement over Maxima's Ultralight 75wt. The clutch did become smoother once the bike warmed up sufficently, but still not close enough to perfect. I'm hopeful I'll be as successful as you have been, too. My 2000 sat unused for 7 years with only a few hours on it when I found it. Thanks for the advice on the clutch basket - I'll give that a good look over, too.

Any good tool store should have the jeweler's files Dan mentioned. Definately a must have for your tool kit.

Cheers!