New Member New Problem

stealfar

I'm just new to this forum and new to trials bikes.

I bought a '94 Techno (blue and yellow) recently that hasn't been used much over the past few years and have given it a bit of tlc.

Thinking it was ready to ride I successfully kick started it first time and it continued idling without cutting out - great. It revs smoothly and there doesn't seem to be excessive smoke. Ready to take off I put it into first, it lunged forward and cut out. I repeated the process a few times with the same result.

I've been told that this may be due to sticking clutch plates and these could be released by putting the front wheel against a wall and going through the start up motions. I did this. It didn't work. It just cut out again.

I've adjusted the clutch lever but this doesn't seem to make a difference. I've topped it up but not fully replaced the clutch fluid - could it just need bled???

Any ideas as to where to start would be much appreciated. I'm itching to get out on the thing.....

Sounds like the plates are sticking or have dried out. This can often happen if the machine has sat around for some time. Before ripping everything to pieces it might be worth taking it outside, and hopefully having made sure you have a smooth throttle response and the motor won't run away, point it in a safe direction and push off with both feet and then when you are rolling put it into gear. Obviously the clutch will not work but as you ride round keep exercising the clutch and usually as the motor heats up (about 30 mins) the clutch should suddenly start working.

Tony

Edited by tony283

this happened lots to 200 fantics. i rode one for 2 hours trying to free them and it didnt.when I stripped the sidecover, the steel plates and ferodo were coroded together. I put a screwdriver between each one and put it together...no change. I had to take out and emry paper each steel plate and reassemble. then it worked. Try above methods first. Top gear, clutch pulled in and very strong sharp pull backwards.

Sounds like the plates are sticking or have dried out. This can often happen if the machine has sat around for some time. Before ripping everything to pieces it might be worth taking it outside, and hopefully having made sure you have a smooth throttle response and the motor won't run away, point it in a safe direction and push off with both feet and then when you are rolling put it into gear. Obviously the clutch will not work but as you ride round keep exercising the clutch and usually as the motor heats up (about 30 mins) the clutch should suddenly start working.

Tony

Defiantly try this first.