08 Sy250 Gear Oil Volume

ridgrunr

Hey guys,

On the side of the engine cases on my 08 250R it says 700cc oil, but in my Scorpa owners manual it says 600cc. So which is correct and would 100cc make that much difference? I know on my previous GAS GAS's higher gear oil volume causes shifting problems. Anyone know about the Scorpas? Thanks.

Edited by Ridgrunr

Hi Ridgrunr

600 ml for an oil change, 700 ml after a strip down - on a change, a qauntity of oil ( 100ml or so) gets trapped and dosn't drain. I change the oil ever two events with 600 ml and I've never had a problem. - There is a level plug on the kickstart side of the engine case too if that helps.

Paul Mac

Hi Ridgrunr

600 ml for an oil change, 700 ml after a strip down - on a change, a qauntity of oil ( 100ml or so) gets trapped and dosn't drain. I change the oil ever two events with 600 ml and I've never had a problem. - There is a level plug on the kickstart side of the engine case too if that helps.

Paul Mac

Paul, that's exactly what I needed to know. Makes sense. Thanks a lot!

The most I ever get out of my '05 is 400ml, even with the bike on it's side and the level plug out. I get as much as I can out and then fill it until the level plug stops running with the bike level.

Is that with the bottom and side plug out?

Cheers,

DFW

Yep, the first tiime I did it I din't measure the oil coming out, so I put the full 700mls back in. Subsequently, 300mls drained back out of the level hole, (which took rather a long time I must say) the next time I changed the oil I measured what came out and it was just over 400mls.

Short of turning the bike upside down I don't know what else to do. So I just change to 400mls and it seems ok. I've had the bike three years now from new and change the oil every ten events or so with no problems.

I clean the airfilter every dry trial or every other damp one and thankfully the carb doesn't need cleaning very often (unlike my previous trials bikes) as that's a sod to get off, so that only gets done occasionally..... but I digress.

• 3 weeks later...

It makes no difference to mine. I've drained the oil from stinking hot and left it over night, I've leant the bike right over and stood it back up and what ever I do, it only needs 400mls to fill it back up.

I'm not saying the oil isn't in there (although I don't think it is) I'm just saying I can't get any more out.

If the oil level hole is in the correct place, then 400mls is an oil change. If I'm wrong, please feel free to coorect me as this has been a source of confusion for seven years as I had my first SY250 in 2002 and that was the same.

Pete