Beta 80 Carb

deandev

Our little un is getting on great with his 2008 beta 80 and i have'nt had any problems with the bike apart from the carbaration. I cant seem to get a consistant set up. Everytime i think its right it goes pear shaped. occasionally the bike races on tick over, occasionally suffers fuel starvation in a sections and has to be started on choke half way through a trial it then runs ok. To be fair if i clean the carb after every ride its better, but i cant help thinking, im missing something. I am using a 66:1 mix as recommended in the handbook and putoline oil and standard unleaded re-routed the throttle cable etc. Does anyone whos had beta 80's for a while have any ideas. Cheers Dean

Edited by deandev

sounds like your pilot jet could be partially blocked, take it out and give it a good poke through with something then blow it through with air line or carb cleaner. whilst carb apart check needle height is correct , and float level adjusted correctly. You can find this info on dellorto website or eurocarb( i think) via google. when all is done and you have it running again make sure you have your air/ fuel mixture screw set right when idling, best to let the engine warm up a bit then turn the mixture screw in or out until engine runs a little faster, probably start by coming out first as this gives more fuel just a quarter of a turn at a time. hope this helps.

Cheers for the replys. I have poked and blown through all the jets so pretty sure there ok. the spark plug is comming out a nice tan colour so i think the mixture screw is about right. I will have a little play with the float heigt and needle setting see if thats the problem. I'll let you know. Thanks again Dean

We used to run a much leaner mix, 80:1 using fully synthetic

it would burn alot cleaner. stopped all the oil build up in exhaust which i think might be your problem.

We had three 80's over the years and the engines never suffered from 80:1 mix.

I also put a smaller pilot jet in which helped but all our 80's were 04,05,06, so i dont no if they have changed.

If your plug colour is good DO NOT play with the carb settings - they are already OK! As suggested it is likely to be carb icing if you are in cold weather at the moment. Also keep in mind that the mixture screw only adjusts idle mixture - when the throttle is closed. Float levels affect all settings from closed to fully open. If the bike is starting ok from cold chances are all low speed settings are fine, and if it accelerates without hesistation and runs big throttle openings cleanly all the rest is ok as well. Your trouble sounds intermittant - does the bike only play up a few minutes into riding, only on very cold days or very hot days etc. See if you can take note of these conditions and let us know, it may help!

Cheers,

Stork

• 1 year later...

HI, I had a similar probelm with a 2005 Rev 80 and it turned out to be the fuel cock that was faulty. It was the older type of fuel tap that was push pull for on/off .

A bit like yours the bike would start OK then stop and would need choke to start and would cut out then run again.

Lampkins sent me a screw on/offtap and the problem was solved.