15 Yr Old New To Trials Biking

ianjholder

Hi, new to the site

Just bought my 15yr old stepson a scorpa 250 2 stroke 98/99 model.

he is keen to ride it, obviously, but has never ridden a motorbike before. Bit of a beast for a first bike but I had a misspent youth riding road bikes starting with Honda and Yamaha 250's when I was 17. He's a big lad, plays rubgy for town and school and is a quick learner. Can anybody recommend a training school. I used to be a volunteer RAC/ACU Instructor and have done advanced Police training so I can teach him the basics and roadcraft, which is useful even though at his age he will be totally off road. I currently run a Bonnie America, but only when its hot cos now I am officially classified by my kids as an "Old Git" We live in Bolton Lancashire and I wondered if there are any suitable clubs/races in the area.

Any help

I think its great that new kids are coming into the sport

Hi, new to the site

Just bought my 15yr old stepson a scorpa 250 2 stroke 98/99 model.

he is keen to ride it, obviously, but has never ridden a motorbike before. Bit of a beast for a first bike but I had a misspent youth riding road bikes starting with Honda and Yamaha 250's when I was 17. He's a big lad, plays rubgy for town and school and is a quick learner. Can anybody recommend a training school. I used to be a volunteer RAC/ACU Instructor and have done advanced Police training so I can teach him the basics and roadcraft, which is useful even though at his age he will be totally off road. I currently run a Bonnie America, but only when its hot cos now I am officially classified by my kids as an "Old Git" We live in Bolton Lancashire and I wondered if there are any suitable clubs/races in the area.

Any help

I think its great that new kids are coming into the sport

Welcome to the site :D I can't help you with your request for info ( but I'm sure someone here will be able to ) , I was just interested how your stepson got interested in trials?

Welcome to TC, you will find lots of friendly people in trials and you will alos quickly learn which clubs/venues/routes suit your ability best. Some clubs put on harder trials than others, so when you find an event you fancy having a go at, let us know and someone on here will tell you what to expect.

One thing just to note, in ACU events, riders under the age of 16 can't ride a 250 in an event, they are limited to 125's as are all youths. When your stepson is 16 he can ride as an adult.

Let us know how you get on. :D

Pete

Welcome to the site :D I can't help you with your request for info ( but I'm sure someone here will be able to ) , I was just interested how your stepson got interested in trials?

I suppose he has seen me on my roadbikes and he wanted one of his own, given his age the only solution was off road riding, and trial biking is a very good introduction to skills of handling a machine. better than track racing, it takes dexterity and concerntration. He learned to drive a car at 11.

Welcome to TC, you will find lots of friendly people in trials and you will alos quickly learn which clubs/venues/routes suit your ability best. Some clubs put on harder trials than others, so when you find an event you fancy having a go at, let us know and someone on here will tell you what to expect.

One thing just to note, in ACU events, riders under the age of 16 can't ride a 250 in an event, they are limited to 125's as are all youths. When your stepson is 16 he can ride as an adult.

Pete

pity, he'll have to wait a bit, but we have some land where he can learn, trouble is he's 90kg and 5' 11", and a very good prop forward plus on the edge of representing Team GB at Water Polo so I thought that a 125cc would be a bit small for him

Pete

Maybe a stupid question, but I am new to this. If the ACU don't allow riders under 16 to have a 250, are there other venues where this does not apply- as I said he's 90kg and 5' 11", which would give him a disadvantage competing with kids half his size on 125cc

125's are actually very good, providing you can buy a newer one.

The trouble is that they do seem to hold their money better than 250's (until they are basket cases), so providing your stepson can get a bit of practice in and wait until he is 16 he can ride as an adult on his 250.

Pete

125's are actually very good, providing you can buy a newer one.

The trouble is that they do seem to hold their money better than 250's (until they are basket cases), so providing your stepson can get a bit of practice in and wait until he is 16 he can ride as an adult on his 250.

Pete

Thanks for that, have contacted AMCA to see if they can help, otherwise he can learn the basics on the 250 and then I'll sell it and get him a 125cc to compete, any sugestions on model and make?

I am grateful for all of your suggestions, the members are very helpful. I used to fly fast jets as a hobby on a PPL. I was a member of the PPrune.org forum. full of idiots and self opinionated no-bodies. it is nice to talk with normal people on a forum,. Bikes are much more interesting and I might even give trialing a go myself, trouble is at 47 if you break a bit of yourself it takes ages to heal. Ian

+1. You learn to live with the pain. :D

yep I know,

dropped a Honda 750F2 coming out of a roundabout years ago, there was diesel on the road, quite happy rolling down the road letting my AGV helmet and leather take the strain at 30 odd mph then there was the familiar sound of my mate on his bonnie, just behind me> Yep, ran me straight over, his brake pedal ended up at 45 degrees where it smashed my helmet and his number plate smashed where my helmet hit it after I'd gone under the bike. The ambulance crew scraped me off the road with nothing more than gravel rash, however, even today my back hurts. Tell you what, invest in the best helmet you can afford. Leathers were ruined but I still had my Head on in the right place. Cant understand why I still see road bikers dressed in t shirts and jeans.