15 Yr Old New To Trials Biking

ianjholder

Every one to there own Ian, it takes all sorts

Share the bike you got, AMCA you dont have to where a helmet thats an ACU rule.

Have a go you are never to old, or maybe you are it could be me I never grow up it took me till I was 62 to find out what a 135mph high side felt like on the black stuff.

Dont let it stop you riding together unless you are frightened to me beaten by your stepson. Ha Ha

Dont be put of by the 125 being to small in the main UEM euro events they ride the 125 until they are 18

Maybe a stupid question, but I am new to this. If the ACU don't allow riders under 16 to have a 250, are there other venues where this does not apply- as I said he's 90kg and 5' 11", which would give him a disadvantage competing with kids half his size on 125cc

As peeps have said above, don't be put off by the 125cc tag. The World Trials Events for youths are all on 125cc machines and you would be surprised at what they can do on them.

I think the nearest comparison in rider build would be Alexz Wigg - hes gotta be around 6ft tall and around 80kgs. If your stepson could do half of what he use to do on a 125cc, he would be pretty impressive.

The three main marques , Gas Gas, Beta & Sherco all have strong 2 stroke 125cc motors. I would suggest you don't bother with 4T options as they are woefully underpowered.

Every one to there own Ian, it takes all sorts

Share the bike you got, AMCA you dont have to where a helmet thats an ACU rule.

Have a go you are never to old, or maybe you are it could be me I never grow up it took me till I was 62 to find out what a 135mph high side felt like on the black stuff.

Dont let it stop you riding together unless you are frightened to me beaten by your stepson. Ha Ha

Dont be put of by the 125 being to small in the main UEM euro events they ride the 125 until they are 18

Cheers mate, looks like I got a new hobby

allright i am allso 15 i am new as well to trials but have allot of experience on enduro and motor cross i live near bodminmoor and dartmoor so if you live close we can go up on moors some where 4 a ride it is nice and easy good place to learn cheers

allright i am allso 15 i am new as well to trials but have allot of experience on enduro and motor cross i live near bodminmoor and dartmoor so if you live close we can go up on moors some where 4 a ride it is nice and easy good place to learn cheers

sorry mate we live in Bolton near manchester, so its a long journey to get there. good luck though

Just got the Scorpa 250, even though its 10 years old with a few scuffs and dints, what a beast, I mean I am used to riding powerful road bikes but this is totally different, light, responsive and on your back in a second with too much throttle. My stepson tried a 2ft run to make sure he understood clutch throttle and brakes and did very well. However I think he now knows that it will take a lot of commitment and skill to do it properly. Which is great cos at that age kids think that they know it all and everything is easy, so it is a lesson in life. Thanks Chaps.

Ian as you once was an instructor for advanced Police training use the same idea get him to ride a figure of eight around two cone's on full lock (or on the stops as they say on here)

You must be a mind reader mate, only two hours ago I said to him that if you think learning to ride means wizzing across a field at 40 mph out of control, then think on. What you have to show me is a figure of 8 around cones, full lock under complete control, no feet down then stop, balance the bike without putting a foot down, and set off again. You control the bike, the bike doesnt control you-

then when he is competent in basic handling, its on to roadcraft, even though he wont be going onto the public highway but a good grounding for when he does, then I'll hand him over to some professional trail bike training, cos it aint my speciality.

Just chucked him the Police riders' Manual and told him I'll be testing him on it

Regards Ian

There are old motorcyclists and there are bold motorcyclists, but very few old and bold motorcyclists

Edited by ianjholder