Rear Wheel Bearings

wheels

I have a 2005 Raga 300 and have trouble taking the rear wheel bearings out. I have plenty of experience doing this normally but with this machine have come up blank. The bearing seals are off, but the spacer does not seem to move up or down to allow sight of the inner race to tap it out. I have tried gently tapping the spacer but this has only burred the end of the spacer and didn't shift the bearing. I don't think the spacer is steel but some alloy. The spacer is a smaller diameter than the inner race so unless I can shift it to one side or can belt the spacer I'm at a loss what to do; obviously I'm trying not to damage anything!

Edited by wheels

Best would be to slightly move inner spacer sideways - which will allow you to get at and tap rear of bearing - but I suspect you have struggled with this?

Try this - Purchase a rawlbolt from your local DIY - which just fits inside bearing. Insert into bearing and tighten up very tight. With small blowlamp heat round bearing housing ( not too much!!) - then tap from other side with your drift hitting against end of rawlplug you have inserted .

I used to always struggle. What I have found is that the spacer prevents each bearing seating fully in the hub. If you use an appropriately sized socket as a drift and place the flat end of the socket so that it covers the face of the bearing (but not the hub) and give it a good belt with a rubber mallet you will push the opposite bearing out just enough to free the spacer. You can then get at the inner race from the opposite end and, with a good belt, out it pops. Although I haven't tried it, someone once recomended to me that you should cut a slot in one end of the spacer just wide and deep enough to get a drift against the inner race from the opposite end. Good luck

Edited by andat

Hi John,

I turned up a piece of scrap steel that is a sliding fit into the bearing with a square shoulder that is used to drive against the aluminium spacer. The spacer is shouldered to fit inside the 6004 bearing. Heat the bearing housing up with boiling water first then drive the bearing out with the drift. Flick off the bearing seals and refill with water proof grease and refit the covers. Heat the housing to fit the new bearings.

Bye, PeterB.