Gas Gas Questions

projected

I've been searching and reading about Gas Gas for days now and I have a few questions.

Some basic info about me:

- I race Enduros at the A level and have ridden dirt bikes most of my life. My favorite trails are the most technical singletrack I can find.

- I grew up racing BMX bicycles all over the US in the expert class, as well as doing bicycle freestyle. Many of the tricks that trials riders do are similar motions to what we used to do on freestyle bikes

- I love competing and hope to ride as many trials events as I can.

- I have never even ridden a trials bike

- I live in Colorado and will be riding from 4000 ft (Moab Utah) up to 11000 ft, but mostly 8-10K ft

Questions:

- Over and over I read that GG's are reliable if they are P.D.I.'d properly and if you do the proper maintenance. No one really specifies the "proper" maintenance. Is the proper maintenance any more than correct jetting, frequent transmission oil changes, and clean air filters? If I am missing something please let me know.

- Originally I was drawn to Gas Gas 250 Pro because I'm a beginner and it seemed like the perfect size. I'm getting mixed opinions on engine size and the altitude that I will ride at. A guy that goes to all the events in CO is recommending the 300 over both the 280 and 300 for High altitude riding. He is saying that once I advance the 250 won't have enough power (at higher altitudes). They also claim the 300 is very easy to ride due to its torquey nature, the 280 is very snappy and more difficult to ride, and the 250 is perfect for sea level or lower altitudes. I know I should ride the bikes and I hope to get the opportunity soon. Would I really outgrow a 250 at altitude once I become more advanced?

- What are the year to year changes on the GG pro's between '04 and '09? I haven't been able to find a list of changes from year to year.

Sorry for the long post, I appreciate any feedback.

Lot's of questions. Where do we start.

First off, there's a recent(ish) new member of TC who's up your way. I seem to remember he also comes from an enduro background (quite a lot of us do). Frankly I couldn't be ar$%ed searching but if you have a look in the members section I'm sure he'll pop up. He also agonised about Gassers and the altitude at which you guys ride.

Maintenance: you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Regular, sensible maintenence is what it's about. PDI will depend on the dealer. As a rule don't trust 'em. I'm not getting at dealers here but, because it's your bike, you'll most likely do a far better job of it than any dealer will.

Rumours about Gasser build quality abound. At one time they were probably justified. Not any more. Gasser quality probably doesn't match a Mont (what chance of buying one of them now?) or a Beta. But the quality is sound.

Transmission oil: change regularly (once every to or three rides) for the first 10 rides or so. ATF will do. 500ml.

Going back to maintenence. I whip out the wheels every 3-4 rides, clean and grease, clean breakpads. Clean & adjust chain. Like an enduro bike, maintenence is, IMO, mostly keeping the bike clean (my dad would kill me if he read that). I do the air filter every two rides in summer. Stretches to every 6 or so rides in winter. I probably overdo the maintenance bit having grown up with spanish bikes in the '70's. Use good quality grease (I swear by Bel Ray).

Changes between 04 and 09? Between 04 and 06. Details. Not really worth mentioning. PeteB or Jon will be more specific here. 07 & 08. Black frame. Not much else. 09: new frame.

As an A grader, you'l take to trials like a duck to water. You'll have a ball.

Your friend may have a point about the capacities. I'll have to confer with my mate Sherpa Norgay to confirm ;)

Welcome to our world.

Edited by TooFastTim

Tims answer is sound and accurate in regard to hands on regular maintenance being the key to reliability and trouble free trialing.. Gas Gas build and reliability now up there with the best in my opinion. Like Tims little gravel rash across the ditch, we dont have hills that go that high ! ;)

I clean the filter after every trial,better safe than sorry.Its worth removing the air box and taking the 2 halves apart(about 8 screws seen easily once off the bike) and seal with STIKAFLEX,which is used to bond in car windscreens.Don't know if you can get away with this,but the dish washer cleans the air box brilliantly.I change the ATF in the box every 4 trials,as the gear oil on a PRO lubes the main bearings too.Maybe overkill but an hours maintenance every week stops a lot of expensive grief.I also grease the swingarm and linkage bearings monthly which greatly slows the wear rate.Buy one and enjoy!

Thank you very much for the equally "long winded" post Tim :thumbup: I appreciate everyone's feedback, and husky I agree 100% on tranny fluid. It is literally a 5 minute job on a 2T and if running ATF it costs nothing. As far as air filters I always have 2 or 3 for bikes and keep a fresh one in at all times. I was thinking that there might be something GG specific maintenance wise but there doesn't appear to be.

I took a half day from work today and met up with a guy who sells GG about an hour and a half away. He met me at a local riding area (about 5500 ft elevation) and he brought a 04 300 pro and a 05 Montesa. I really liked both bikes and didn't find the 300 difficult to ride at all. I was surprised at how nice the Montesa was, I actually really enjoyed the power delivery. Granted we were just messing around in some washes with vertical lips on top to jump out. But he also showed me some basics on how to do bars to the lock circles. SO MUCH FUN!!! Especially when someone tells you the proper technique. I was also psyched when he told me he thought I would win in the novices class, I only know one way to find out :D

Now I'm torn between the 04 300 and a new 09. I am so confident that I'm going to be addicted to this sport that buying the new bike does not scare me. I'm just not sure that paying exactly twice as much for the 09 is worth it for someone such as myself. The 04 does not have much use on it and seemed to run just fine (as far as my unknowing trials riding ass could tell).

Anyway thanks again for the responses and I look forward to any others, especially on the displacement and altitude.

Did I mention how awesome trials is? I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys though.

Edited by projected

For me, I don't think I would ever buy a new trials bike. Why? Because just about any trials bike made in this century is way more capable than 99.99 percent of the trials riders out there. I ride a 2002 GG 280 Edition, in the Advanced Class (U.S), and I am still just begining to scratch the surface of what this bike can do. These bikes are amazingly rugged and easy to maintain (compared to my vintage trials bike, and compared to my modern street bike).

I love my 04 300 and I ride it just about every week for at least 4 hours even in the winter.

In the summer i am on it twice a week at least for about 10 hours per week average.

I change the oil every 2nd or 3rd ride.

I have to lube the swing arm bearings about every two months.

I clean the air filter when its dirty.

I would rather prefer riding it than working on it and thats why I ride gasgas.

I am riding expert here in Michigan so I do break levers and tear grips but I can't mention many times when the bike didn't let me ride.

So for a bike to learn on 300 or a 280 would be perfect. You will note how the 250 will feel under powered especially out there.

I rode my 300 up to the top of castle rock a few years back (he he don't tell the town) and it did fine with no jetting change.

You would want to change your jet up there but local guys like eurodirt would be able to help you out.

With a trials bike you will find that you will not beat up on the machine as much as your other bikes.

10 hours a week speaks for mine.

One tip. Your nature will tell you to hold on to the bike when it gets away from you. Don't do it. Let it go. It will be fine.

I will be in Englewood then Vail next week skiing. Tell them to turn on the snow machine for me.

--Biff

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Biff. I've got friends coming out tomorrow to snowboard for a week but it's been in the 60's down where I live near Denver.

I ordered a 2009 300 (dumb move but I'm only going to live once so.....) and it's supposed to be ready to pick up by Wednesday of this week. If the weather holds I'm getting a lesson from a multi-time CO state champion on Sunday, I'm trying avoid developing as many bad habits as I can. My first competition is on April 19th and I can't wait.

Thanks again everyone for the advice, I'm sure I'll have more questions once I start riding and working on my new GG. Did I already say I can't wait?

I've been to the mountains several times to ride the UTE Cup and you will be glad you got 300cc a 250 has no guts up high. Welcome to Trials, the free style riding will convert very easy, in fact I used a bike to learn nose wheelies and to hop the front and back.

I've been to the mountains several times to ride the UTE Cup and you will be glad you got 300cc a 250 has no guts up high. Welcome to Trials, the free style riding will convert very easy, in fact I used a bike to learn nose wheelies and to hop the front and back.

Good to hear on the 300. I rode on Saturday and Sunday and had a great time, the power is very controllable on what I've done so far. My BMX/freestyle moves are not transferring over quite as easily as I hoped they would.... a rigid bicycle at 30 lbs is quite a bit different than soft suspension and 150 lbs.

I had a lesson on Sunday and went over a ton of basics, I'm really Glad I did the lesson. I know now that I need to dedicate hours of riding on flat ground just to get the basics down.

Thanks for the post.

There's a bunch of guys on here who are ex MTB trials guys an one who's an ex-world champ competitor. I've heard these guys say that motor bike trials are harder than MTB trials (probably the additional weight). I wouldn't know. But drop BillyT a line and I'm sure he'll give you some tips cutting from one to the other.

There's a bunch of guys on here who are ex MTB trials guys an one who's an ex-world champ competitor. I've heard these guys say that motor bike trials are harder than MTB trials (probably the additional weight). I wouldn't know. But drop BillyT a line and I'm sure he'll give you some tips cutting from one to the other.

Thanks Tim.