Montesa Tapered Primary Gear Removal

thedktor

No, use a big heavy hammer as its the jolt that gets the gear off . I have just removed the same gear off of my 247, i just used two long tyre leavers , one being pushed by my knee and the other by hand and i walloped the crank end with a thor copper and hide hammer once and it came off

Dave

Wow, I really don

I cannot find the reference number but I went into my local car accesory shop and bought what is a puller for vauxhall steering wheels.
I remeber the big isue with most pullers is the gap behind the gear is very small.

Google

VAUXHALL & OPEL STEERING WHEEL REMOVAL TOOL

and you will see the tool I used. the tiny little end hooks are delicate so need a clamp around them to stop them springing apart. I ended up modifying mine with anb additional plate but once you start engineering you could make something better.

Edited by bigshineybike

I cannot find the reference number but I went into my local car accesory shop and bought what is a puller for vauxhall steering wheels.

I remeber the big isue with most pullers is the gap behind the gear is very small.

Ah, good tip, worth investigating. And yes, there is not a lot of space behind the gear.

Steve

Its sheer-joy when they come off and the gear cluster looks pretty good so it should be ready to trials pretty soon with plenty of spares left over!!

Dave

Ha ha yes I did nearly run out in the road and do a dance! :guinness:

Very pleased with the new gear cluster, unfortunately the rest of the engine not so good, but usable spares if needed...

Steve

• 10 years later...

Hi .  Rebuilding Rickman 250 vr . I used a regular puller mf by Montesa  . And some heat by propane would not budge .  For hours I spent  with other puller..    then... used.. a large puller slide type used for cars axles and sutch , It has L. shape attachment I installed it behind gear while other puller was on pulling slammed it about 10 times it finally broke loose ,  it was a puller sold by Mac tools ,