Frame Number And Mot

dougalthedog

Hi

Just putting my bike back together after a complete strip down (its a road registered TY250 Mono)

The frame number is almost invisible, as far as I am aware the MOT tester has to input the frame number into the computer before testing.

As far as I can see the options I have are:

1. Leave as is - the number will disappear completely when the frame is painted although the bike does still have the riveted on aluminium plate with the number on.

2. Restamp the numer into the frame - i've seen number punch sets for sale on the web - I assume the style will be slightly different from the original - will this look a bit dodgy?

Has anyone else had this problem or know the best way to resolve it

Thanks in advance

Edited by Dougalthedog

If you have the ally plate and is still riveted to the frame that should suffice. Take the V5 with you when you MOT it just in case they ask. Re stamping never looks right on a Jap bike. Okay on an old Brit clunker as most looked dodgy even when new. :rolleyes:

Another thought is to take the bare frame around to the Mot station before its painted,with the V5 and explain.I find if you are straight with people they will understand your worry and usually be willing to help out.Remember most bike Mot testers love bikes as much as we do so its already "of interest" rather than a 9-5 money earner.

have a word at the mot station about what they'll accept.

when i did mine as mentioned above it was the actual MOT tester who said to do it.

I think the regs just say the frame has to have the number on it. doesn't say where or how.