Won't Start?

txt_280

Hi all,

got my bike out the shed to have a play an she won't start?

when I put it in there it was running fine (approx 2weeks ago)

I am getting a spark, so I guess a fueling issue

any pointers on where to start looking??

cheers

I'd start by draining the fuel tank and carb and then begin with fresh premix. Not "fresh" premix out of an old container, but straight from your supplier's pump-fresh. Stale fuel that's lost it's high-end aromatics (this affects the fuel's Reid vapour pressure) from storage in a bike's vented tank or a plastic fuel container is, from my experience, the number one cause of poor starting/performance in stored bikes.

This may not be the main reason for not starting, but it will eliminate a significant variable in your quest for an answer.

Jon

Hi txt_280,

just to share a tip with you that people on here told me that worked for me is to lean the bike to the left (as in basicly lay the bike on the ground on it's left ) just leaning a little to the left did nothing with mine but if you set her over until the fuel starts to run out of the over flow pipe then lift her up and try starting her that way you know the carb bowel is full.

Worth a try bud

Cheers

Steve

no joy yet!

tried leaning the bike over but that didn't, havn't had time to do anything else yet as been busy with other things, off on tues so have another go then.

petrol wise I have some in a jerry can, which is air tight so shouldn't go 'off', I mix a litre or two of premix each time I use the bike to save having it sitting in the tank or a plastic bottle

going to remove the carb first an go from there, try the petrol in the plug hole first tho

will keep you informed

petrol wise I have some in a jerry can, which is air tight so shouldn't go 'off', I mix a litre or two of premix each time I use the bike to save having it sitting in the tank or a plastic bottle

Actually, the less than full storage can, opened often, invites greater air-born water contamination (condensation) and allows a greater "boil off" of the volatile elements in the fuel. It's always a consideration in diagnosing starting issues, which often can be a combination of small causes. The clean carb and petrol down the bore seems a good way to start.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gents

Sorry for the delay!!

Finally had chance to look at the bike last night, popped a bit of fuel down the plug hole and it fired straight away then died, removed the carb and gave it a clean, didn't see any obvious sign as to why it wouldn't start, re-fitted the carb, kicked it over and it fired up second kick like it usally does!!

A bit of dirt in there somewhere I guess

Thanks for all the help and advise!!