Oil For A 08 300 Rev 4

jsp

just started running my new bike and preparing to change the oil can anyone tell me what oils you use

as i cant find 15w50 fully synthetic like the manual says anywhere.

is there also a correct position for the fuel lever

whilst riding

thanks

jsp

Correct position for the fuel lever is all the way anti clockwise. (up and on auto)

When the bike has been on its side, turn the lever all the way clockwise (full on) to fill the carb - turn it back to auto when bike running. (this is for the 09 - sure its the same for the 08)

Manual states 15W50 full synthetic. I am using SILKOLENE Pro4 15W50 from OPIE oils -

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-773-motorcycle-oils.aspx - great service.

Download a manual for your bike here.....

http://www.betamotor.com/en/support/manuals

Edited by Fivemeister

I had the same problem with the oil for my 4t. The local bike shop mechanic advised me that normal 4 stroke oil(I cant remember the weight of it) would be fine. He seemed to think that the heavier oil they recommend was due to the high temperatures in spain???

As of yet I have not followed his advise, but does anyone else have any opinion on this?

Edited by mikey_boy

He seemed to think that the heavier oil they recommend was due to the high temperatures in spain???

Can't see it. The factory know that their bikes will be imported all over the world and if they felt that the machine required different specification oil dependant on the local temperature, surely they would have said in the manual or specified a catch all grade (ie 0W50 as a lot of cars do)

I would say that the oil specification given is to accomodate the demanding workload / temperature generated of a 4T competition bike and the type of lubrication circuit used in the engine.

There is a lot of information on the net with regard to oil specification - the OPIE oil site I posted earlier is a good start. Not only are they a good mail order source of oil, but they are motorsport orientated, supplying oil to many autoclubs / enthusiasts - and they will answer any oil based question you pose them.

I have been using Repsol 4T Racing 10W50, fully synthetic, for about 17 months, with no problems. Live in Texas where we get plenty of heat, and hot motors to go with it.

Can't see that there would be any problem there - its the 50 grade that important for the high temp - but don't see why you need to use a 10W grade oil in that part of the world. That grade is usually used in a colder clime where the oil needs to be thinner and flow better from cold start. Plus its a more expensive grade - you pay for the technology (men in white coats fiquring how to extend the performance range)

Not an expert - just the way I understand it.