Twin

dixie

Thinking of trying a triumph twin trialer,What motor should i start with????

Everone i have spoken to with a 350 says the 500 is too powerfull and the boys with 500 say 350's wont grip???

I know it is a matter of taste but whats your opinion?? :D

The northern lads are having some sucess with 350 or 400's. The trick for grip seems to be the frame.The best seems to be an Enfield frame, (checkout the pics of Dave Emmott on the yorkshire classic website), or Dave Varley heavily modifies the Triumph frame, dcclassicmotorcyces.co.uk

I once had the privilege of riding a 500 housed in a Crusader frame at the Scarborough two day and it seemed OK to me in terms of both grip and power. The same machine, in the same state of tune, had been ridden, with knobblies and proper bars, successfully in Pre '65 scrambles too.

Edited by 2/4

Looked at some of the bikes, my god i think i may need another mortgage..

It would be nice to have a 1965 trophy then it would be the same age as me, Then i would remember how old my bike was...

go for the 500, too much power is better then not enough

Dave

In this case when the differences between the 350 and 500 are so small I'd tend to agree. It's easier to soften the power on a 500 than try to get more power from a 350...

Hi Guy's,

Hi Dixie.

Not worked on Triumph Twins since 1964-5 when I did me aprentiship on them, working for Bert Shorey, Dans father. But we built a 350 tiger 90 based trials bike from a crashed bike for Dan to ride. If I remember we fitted low compreshion pistons, that were bigger than standard,I would think it would have made it about a 400cc bike. this had bags of power with the tiger 90 cams still fitted, and the bit bigger carb than the twenty one, but I do remember that if you banged open the twist grip, you could spin the wheel at a stand still on most surfaces other than rocks, and it seemed a lot better on these. that is why the Yorkshire boys do so well on them I expect. I think the bike we built was bought by George Greenland, who would have got the best out of it, I think you could still build one at a reasonable price, but it would be from parts found, and not a bike. Hope this helps.

Regard's Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my 5TA in a heavily modified B40 frame that I shortened and tightened up the steering head angle. I originally bought it off a mate as an unfinished project 24years ago. I lowered the compression, dropped the primary and secondary gearing and fitted an electrex ignition system, apart from that the motor is standard.

I have since given it 2 facelifts, the last one included nickle plating the frame and anodising the rims and parts dark green, probably not popular with the purists!

As for the 350 or 500 debate, although people say that the 350 is smoother, the 500 is so much fun and will pick the front up anywhere in any gear. Even after owning it for so long I still look forward to riding it, and wouldn't swop it for the world 656.jpg654.jpg[/img]

This is my 5TA in a heavily modified B40 frame that I shortened and tightened up the steering head angle. I originally bought it off a mate as an unfinished project 24years ago. I lowered the compression, dropped the primary and secondary gearing and fitted an electrex ignition system, apart from that the motor is standard.

I have since given it 2 facelifts, the last one included nickle plating the frame and anodising the rims and parts dark green, probably not popular with the purists!

As for the 350 or 500 debate, although people say that the 350 is smoother, the 500 is so much fun and will pick the front up anywhere in any gear. Even after owning it for so long I still look forward to riding it, and wouldn't swop it for the world 656.jpg654.jpg[/img]

Most of that is very nice (purist) How does it grip ? Whats are the tank and forks ? Really like the nickel frame, ball park cost and who did it please.

Ahh, Forks, You caught me on the only bit I'm embarassed about, Betor and the ty175 seat, confessions over.

Tank home made, Cub front hub, QD rear. Plating done in Aylesbury about 6 years ago and cost around

• 1 month later...

Well i got one last week ,a 500 (T 100 )

My god when people say the 500 has plenty of power its no joke, It flys

I have got a throttle reducer and a clutch lightener(cos you need to use it ) are there any other tricks to soften them off ,Does it need a decompressor???

Seems to start fine every time ,It has a PVL ignition set standard. but seems to want to get away all the time and almost wants to stall on tickover when on full lock .

Hi Dixie,

A friend of mine in Spain asked me to find him a Triumph Twin and I found him a lovely 350. He wants o slow it down a bit more for trials. It currently has a 20T engine sprocket, 15T gearbox sprocket and a 54T rear sprocket - do you know what yours is running? Any idea if he can fit a smaller engine sprocket or where to get a larger rear sprocket?

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Dixie,

A friend of mine in Spain asked me to find him a Triumph Twin and I found him a lovely 350. He wants o slow it down a bit more for trials. It currently has a 20T engine sprocket, 15T gearbox sprocket and a 54T rear sprocket - do you know what yours is running? Any idea if he can fit a smaller engine sprocket or where to get a larger rear sprocket?

Cheers,

Jim

I will pm you some details , the best contraption i have fitted is the throttle reducer from some nice chaps in yorkshire..