Ty80 Reving Like Mad

hoc

The TY80 I bought for my son did this,thought for a while the throttle slide was sticking - not so,it was pulling in air from the main bearing seals.I did a complete rebuild on the engine with a genuine piston/rings etc,now runs a treat.

Thanks for reply Paul, I have checked the cable is free as we had the tank off, it certainly looks OK, my thoughts were whether it could be something to do with the throttle slide, but we have not done anything to the carb.

I would bet on the cable routing. Do you have slack in the housing when supposedly at idle? if not, the cable is lifting the slide.

Also check the slide. On one side (I think right side) there is a brass pin in the carb body. The slide has a slot that fits on the pin to index it as it moves up and down.

Been many years ago, but on two of mine, the pin worked its way outward and allowed the slide to turn slightly and bind on the pin.

Solution: Lift the slide out, tap the pin gently inward so the outside is flush with the outside of carb body, and put a drop of epoxy on the outside. Clean and burrs on the slide, reinstall and it should be good.

kcj