Head Angle

dixie

Still have a bit of a problem with the front end washing out

I have just dropped the forks through the stanchions by half inch. Will this be enough ,everythink else is standard exept bar clamps moved forward an inch

Do i really need to alter the head angle..

Altering the head angle, ie steeper, will make it wash out even more. I run 37cm shocks on my 240 and then section forks which are 1,5 cm shorter and this makes the steering a bit tighter. Steeper head angle even more. assuming the front tyre is new and still soft and the airpressure low, thenmaybe you need to hang that backside a little further out and too the rear??

L

Its that horrid sort of under steer feeling when you think you have the corner dialed look for you line and your bar tucks under and i cant quite catch it

Almost like the break catches for a sec, i have checked wheel bearings and break

Lee think i have sussed it

the forks where sticking mid travel then popping back up,

I have stripped and cleaned them, new fluid and lostened the mudguard supports and axle camps bounced them and re tightened ,sorted the sticking, will have to see if its stopped the front going awol

After the set up details you have posted i think i will leave them 1/2" through the clamps and try them.

Cheers Dixie

Dixie, in one of your posts you mentioned as the forks tucked under the feeling was one of the brake having snatched on for a moment. I had the same sensation with a TLR250 I owned. Along with this on long descents over rough ground using gentle braking the front brake lever would pulse in and out, almost as though the front drum was oval. In my case the routing of the front brake cable was the cause. When the bike was new I took off the headlight and one of the cable guides from the front fork yokes. This allowed the cable to bow outwards in a loop when the forks compressed at the same time pulling the brake on a little harder. On sharp descents on almost full braking with the forks becoming fully compressed the result was a trip over the bars.

I replaced the missing cable guide, the cable then moved up and down parallel to the forks and the fault vanished. This may not apply to your Fantic but it may be worth checking just in case.

On the twinshocks I have owned since I have added cable guides to keep the cable parallel to the fork travel without grabbing the cable just in case.