Practicing

windlestone

Sammy Miller and Bernie Schrieber have written in the past about practicing and the techniques they use. I'm just curious as to what everyone else does?

Do you take flags and mark out sections?

Do you start off difficult and make it easier? do you leave it alone ?

do you start easy and make it harder?

I have this stupid idea in my head that i haven't mastered anything unless i can clean it three times in succession, how dumb is that? sometimes i'm so knackered i'll never clean it again in a month of sundays :o

I generally make the section then ride it, keep trying for that elusive clean. always try them in reverse too.

My brain doesn't seem capable of altering them much once they're made.

Some of them i've been trying for about a year and never cleaned them yet!

I usually take out flags and mark out a section that *looks* difficult enough that I'll take me a while before I can clean it consistently but not so easy that I'll crack it in a couple of attempts nor so difficult that I'll hurt myself trying. It's quite difficult to get the balance right and it helps if you practise with people of similar ability (or slightly better than) yourself. Personally, it's also made me realise how difficult it must be and how many years of experience are required to lay out a complete lap of 10 or 12 sections that cater for all abilities without initimidating the novices or boring the experts. Respect, guys.

Once the section's been marked, I ride it over and over until I can clean it consistently before moving on. Sometimes, this can take a while. Again, it helps if there's at least a couple of you since I've found that you can learn a lot from each others' mistakes (and successes!). Once mastered, we also usually try it in reverse. If I've recently ridden a trial in the same area I'm practising in, I'll try to remember where the sections were that caused me trouble and re-create them.

I've got quite a cottage industry in flag manufacture going (using the classic wire coathanger and old carrier bag method) because lastplacebrad's dog Blue who accompanies us occasionally likes to pull up flags and attempt to eat and/or run off with them!

I think that you have everything right Windlestone, we nearly always reverse sections also! I find it realll y is a big help (boost) to ride/practise with others!! As when we ride with Bix Barton he ALWAYS wants to beat us to the clean and gets upset if he doesnt, so that in turn makes us all try that bit harder!! If only to beat him!!

I suppose it depends on how good at self motivation you are. Im **** and often cant be a***d to even try , especially on my own but a few of you makes it that bit more interesting!! Plus someone to pick yer fat a*** up after you have looped the bike!! :lol:

We practise a bit at a mates farm (a few times a year at most when we can be a***d!! :o ) and mark out sections with rocks and ride a section until we have all cleaned it or have had enough.

Where do you guys Practice in North Yorkshire?

Any new venues or are they private ?

Have been to Croft Woods a few times.........but that's all.

Anywhere you can suggest?

Anywhere linked to a club?

Send me a PM if you don't want to divulge in an open forum

Guest Yamaha_dude

When i practise its either me and me dad me and one mate or on my bill :hl:

Not many people close to where i live, im able to ride over the moores to get to my main practicing area. I also reverse sections and reverse hill climbs after i have cleaned them a few times. I find sections but rarely make them, probably something i should start doing. I take a while to get into the 'groove' which i sometimes find annoying.

I dont have any flags and mark sections out using landmarks mostly or rocks. Someone local when practicing with flags fell on one and it pierced his stomach, so i have a sort of fobia of flags (not good to have in trials i know :D ).

I clean a sections 4 or 5 times then move on, when i clean a section i usually do a few celebration wheelies! :D does anyone else do that?!

If you're anywhere near Scarborough, it's well worth joining the SDMC (http://www.scarboroughdmc.co.uk). Membership gets you unlimited (except when there's a trial or motocross on) access to the club-owned Low North Camp - a massive area of hills, woods, rocks and rivers - trials heaven! The Eboracum club based in York also put on excellent events, mostly in the Rosedale area but I don't think that they have their own practise area. I believe that there's also a trials practise area somewhere near Darlington, but I've never been and I'm not sure where it is - maybe some other North Yorkies/Clevelanders can help out here?

It's always worth befriending a local farmer, especially if they've got lots of woodland and/or streams!

I dont think its a good idea to practice alone.

If you go with a couple of mates:

1. If someone gets hurt theres someone to help/laugh :D .

2. If a bike breaks down theres someone to tow you :D .

3. We tend to put in more effort if someone is watching ie; showing off :hl:

If you're anywhere near Scarborough, it's well worth joining the SDMC (http://www.scarboroughdmc.co.uk). Membership gets you unlimited (except when there's a trial or motocross on) access to the club-owned Low North Camp - a massive area of hills, woods, rocks and rivers - trials heaven! The Eboracum club based in York also put on excellent events, mostly in the Rosedale area but I don't think that they have their own practise area. I believe that there's also a trials practise area somewhere near Darlington, but I've never been and I'm not sure where it is - maybe some other North Yorkies/Clevelanders can help out here?

It's always worth befriending a local farmer, especially if they've got lots of woodland and/or streams!

Thanks Neon...........

I use the Croft practice area near Darlington, which is linked to White Bros.

However I'm tempted by Scarborough..........but it's over 45 miles each way to get there.

Is it really good @ Low North Park..............worth making a day of it

What are Scarboro's trials like ..............hard, inter or able to cater for a novice/beginner like me (is the Clubman route relatively ok)

Fancy a Scarboro Trial..........but don't want to get over-faced

If you're in that part of the world, there's the Guisborough, Middlesborough and (of course) Richmond clubs as well. I'm sure any of those nice people would be able to help you out. With the exception of the TC trial last year (which everyone ought to make an effort to get to this year if at all possible - well worth the trip!), I've tended to stay fairly local since I started riding again, hence my comments about the SDMC and Eboracum clubs. Low North Camp is well worth a visit although you do need to be a member and have a key (or know someone who has a key) for the main gate. Drop me a PM or mail if you're planning a trip down here - I'd be happy to show you around (like I said, it's a big area and some of the best sections are fairly well hidden).

Edited by neonsurge

Any new venues or are they private ?

Have been to Croft Woods a few times.........but that's all.

Anywhere you can suggest?

Anywhere linked to a club?

Send me a PM if you don't want to divulge in an open forum

were do you guys practice in north yorkshire

the guisborough club have a practice ground at charltons near guisborough but you need to be a member for a key for the gate if you want to go sometime email me to make arrangements