Which Bike For My 9 Year Old?

dickiem

I wondered about adding a flywheel weight to the revvy little thing. I have asked a few people about this and no one had done it to theirs so I gave up. I would be very interested indeed in this and very grateful if you could sort out the piccies! Would this be something that Julian Wigg could sort out for me? If so, do you have contact details.

Do you find that after a strong rev, it takes a long time to come back to low revs? I'm concerned that if there is an obstacle that needs a good handful of revs followed by a tight turn, that the thing might still be revving and striving forward. Hope that makes sense!!!?

Thanks! ;)

Do you have the details of the weight fitted? Was it possible to fit the weight with the standard cover or did you need some kind of spacer to accommodate the additional flywheel weight?

When you say "without clutch" how do you mean? The clutch on a TXT50 Boy is surely just there to really pick up the revs for a big climb or step???

Many thanks for posting the photos dabster!

This appears to be a GasGas 50 cadet or something as opposed to a GasGas TXT50 "Boy" as the photos show a gear shifter. The Boy is a small wheel automatic.

I bet that the extra weight made a huge difference to the bike as you say, but I'm not sure how it would work with an automatic???

Many thanks for posting the photos dabster!

This appears to be a GasGas 50 cadet or something as opposed to a GasGas TXT50 "Boy" as the photos show a gear shifter. The Boy is a small wheel automatic.

I bet that the extra weight made a huge difference to the bike as you say, but I'm not sure how it would work with an automatic???

If its the same motor I would give it a go, its the motor that makes it more difficult to ride, my 10 y o girl was useless till the mod.

• 3 weeks later...

My 7 yrs has been trailing for 6 months on a ty80, been riding a peewee and crosser since 3 1/2 yrs, the ty80 was fantastic at surviving all the bashing and dropping that a bike suffers when a person is learning the finer points of bike control.

he was beating some of the beta rev 80 as well at local trials.

Got him a 2003 Rev 50 this week he finished the D route with 8 points for the day best before was 33.

The ty80 definitely has a place in trials still and taught my lad how to ride a trials bike well and I think has acted as a 'slingshot' in developing his skills. the rev 50 is 25 yrs younger and is shows, what a cracking bike !!!!

Edited by spinningplates