290 Or Not 290 That Is The Question

jonny5

alright guys,

hope i can get some advice, i currently ride a beta 250 06 but recently i've been feeling like i want more power and i've been given the option of a sherco 290 06.

thing is all i've heard about them is there a right handfull!!! Am no novice but not albert either and i fancy a change and a challenge. The lad offering me it rides a 4t 320 now so

he says its a kitten (Which i dont belive for a second!!!!) but he throws the 320 round like jarvis.

so 290 or not 290 that is the question?

STRAIGHT ANSWER-- :rolleyes: Yep..get it bought...you can tame the bike easily just do a 'timing' search in the Sherco forum.

From what I recall on the 06's :

Check the rear shock is not knakked/leaking.

The footpegs were at a queer height (may not be as noticable if you've come from a Beta ).

I think there were a few issues with cracks in the frame at the headstock?

Let us know?

I could'nt tell you if its still got the fly weight still on, how would i find that out? and would that give it more spunk?

i've looked at the bike and its all sound but has had a small crack welded up around mid rad height. he wants around

yeah i can have a blast on it whenever i want realy. i've not riden that bike but i've played on a 290 02,

am told the newer ones are alot better bikes tho,being a beta boy i dont realy have any experience to compair.

290 is the best sherco of 06,depends how much you need the extra power.The rear shock on them isn't as good as the Beta,and the steering lock isn't that good.Footrests feel high,and they don't pull 4th in mud or big climbs .Feel much lighter on the front than a Beta,bit more of an experts bike.Frame cracking isn't common,only shows up on hard used ones,seen a few with the front engine mounts rewelded.Have a good go on it,if you like it 1600 isn't too dear