Rear Brake Wire.

b40rt

Hi, can anybody point me in the direction of a supplier for the parts to make up a rear brake cable for my B40. (Trialsbits cant help)

Dont want to use a rod as the brake comes on as the suspension compresses.

Thanks in advance

Ross

You can make one easily (If you have the tackle)

You need a length of clutch/brake inner cable, two pear nipples, a M8 alloy set screw 50mm long and a fitting to suit your brake lever.

Cut the head off the screw and then drill along the center to suit the cable diameter (best done on a lathe ) Thread the cable through the screw and fix the nipples and fitting. I use a M8 wing nut to adjust but the choice is yours. I have also covered the cable with shrink fit plastic sleeving to stop wear and rusting but this must be fitted before the last nipple is fitted

to take out the movement in the rear arm you'd need to have an inner and outer cable ( like on a push bike) i'd use mountain bike brake cable ( its nice and thick) solder on the nipples you'd need some form of adjuster and again a robust mountain bike screw would do the trick.

i'd make up a proto type and once happy make the real deal.

Hi, can anybody point me in the direction of a supplier for the parts to make up a rear brake cable for my B40. (Trialsbits cant help)

Dont want to use a rod as the brake comes on as the suspension compresses.

Thanks in advance

Ross

Ross

Does your brake rod have a compression spring the other side of the actuating arm to the adjuster nut? If it's operating the brake on compression of the suspension then something is binding.

A brake rod should work if the geometry and design are all correct.

Wayne...

Hi Wayne

Yes it had a spring, but during the replacement of the wheels the adjuster "dis-appeared" I've tried breakers but cant get one with the same thread, so thought it might be simpler to make a new one. e mailed Venhill via the link kindly supplied by tikka65, they wont supply brake cables (incase I crash & sue presumably) so a bit stuck at the moment.

Ross

Probably 3/16" or 1/4" UNF/BSF. Might be just as easy to get a length of 5 or 6mm rod and make a new one up with the dreaded METRIC! ??

Wayne...

If I have to go down that route I'le go back to the bike breakers and get an old rod and cut to suit.

Ross

You could buy an Ossa MAR rear brake cable from Venhill, cut the nipple off the front of the inner cable, remove the outer cable and then solder back on the correct nipple. The rear end of the cable has threaded rod to take the adjusting nut which is metric thread, 6mm I think. I can't remember how long they are (MK2 is longer than MK1 to allow for the longer MK2 swingarm) but I'm sure Venhill will give you the length if you ask them.

Or look on JK Hirst website as Yam mono uses a cable for the rear brake instead of a rod - maybe one of those would do. You can still buy the barrell and adjuster nut for these too.

I now make my own brake rods out of 6mm steel rod and cut a metric thread on it, sometimes use an alloy adjuster for a Bultaco (via Dave Renham of course), but I picked up some nice 6mm adjuster nuts off e-bay a few months ago.

So far I made the rod for my B40 and both seeley Hondas as I don't like the cable rear brake as it doesn't give enough feel!

Big John