09 125 Sherco Temp

betadad

Hi,

My daughter has just moved to a 09 125 Sherco, and so I'm still on the learning curve as to the maintenance! I'm convinced that the engine is running too hot although the bike is only a couple of months old! I've replaced the temp switch already, and yesterday went right through the cooling system again. With the cooling circuit open, start the engine and water is pumped out, thus I assume the water pump is OK, the temp switch tests OK when placed in water from the kitchen kettle, zero ohms and the audible "click". If I short out the temp switch and run the bike the fan runs permanently, if I remove the short (every thing standard) the fan will come on but only for short period (5 - 10 secs) and then stop, before cycleing again. The engine seems to have to get "very hot" before this short cycle starts!

Her previous 125 (Beta) had a couple of different temperature rated thermo switchs to choose from, is the same available for the Sherco, or am I just worrying over nothing?

What is the temperature rating of the thermo switch i.e. what result should I record if I measure the temperature of the coolant???

Regards

Betadad (Now Shercodad)

If the coolant is topped up and the fan cycles on and off (and you've changed the thermostat) I can't see how you could have a problem. :thumbup:

I few months ago I was convinced of the same thing on my 250....I ride most days and she's still going :thumbup:

I concluded that the more I worried about it the hotter the engine was getting :rolleyes:

You can get stick on temperature strips that give the temp in real time. But if your really convinced it's to hot and it's under warranty why haven't you given it back to your dealer??

Best of balance.

Neo

Yes, I'm probably worrying about nothing (new bike worries), I've spocken to MRS Sherco and they said it all sounds OK. I would just like to know what the coolant / switch temperature ranges are so that I can make an actual measurement and reassure myself?

Cheers

Betadad

a point worth checking is to run the short as you described with the fan running and take a voltage at the fan which should be no more than 12v. just recently i had a faulty voltage regulator that was allowing more than 12v and damaged the fan on a gasgas by the way. it was that knackered that it provided this with the earth removed(then it should not work) on the regulater and when earthed only worked itermittantly.

Shercoholic, thanks for the reply;

No I did not test the temperature response of the switch, as I had no idea as to what the correct range should be. I did test that it worked i.e. when placed in water that was almost boiling, the switch operated, and when cooled in opened.

Is 63 - 66 C the correct range for the switch?

Regards

Betadad

Gday, I dunno for sure on the Sherco, but most fans will cut in at around 90 degrees C (195 F). Your cooling system is pressurised to increase the boiling point to above 100 C so there is no need to cool with the fan before this. That is where your thermo switch should trip. The engine is designed to run its cooling system around this temp so don't worry. You can get those stick-on things or use a thermometer to check the temp of the radiator if you wish for peace of mind.

Cheers,

Stork

I doubt there would be much wrong as the fan is cycling. On a cool day they do not run for long periods. I seem to recall a marking on those thermoswitches, yet I cannot recall the spec! But in the 180-195 f range.

:rotfl: