Inflators

eiger

Have tried a variety of tubeless tyre inflators from big cycle pumps to lightweight MTB pumps as well as various mini size CO2 cartridge adaptor type pumps and still not found one which is any good. Anyone found the ideal set up? I know if you are in the middle of nowhere and you knock a tubeless off the rim you are knackered unless you fit a tube and use the pressure in that to get it back on the rim, trouble is what set up gives you the pressure needed. Have tried the Hebo pump/adaptor but it has not been enough (with 3 16gm CO2 bottles) to get the bead back on the rim. And as for back in the van stuff saw a bloke with a big bottle compressed air in his van recently but didnt get chance to ask him what pressure was in it or where it was from but the idea seemed good and would negate the need to take generator and compressor too? Any help and ideas much appreciated.

Thanks

Eiger

Hi Eiger, we used to have an air tank off a scrap lorry which we used to fill up with the workshop compressor before going to a trial and keep in the van. Used to put about 130psi in it. However we rarely used it so stopped taking it.

The best thing is to not keep riding but fix the puncture before the tyre comes off the rim.

Michelin are far more prone to coming off the rim than dunlop.

I have seen those small portable air tanks for cheap in the auto parts stores, althouth I still have my old converted freon bottle. I keep it pre charged and it will provide sufficient air volume to seat a tire if properly lubed, but one must use a proper tire beader to insure no excess air escapes.

Also, those small portable compressors that plug into a cigar lighter or attach to battery will produce very high pressures to re charge a spent tank, just takes a while, as they are very low volume. But also cheap! and will do for just adding air and such.

Seems to me that re seating tires on the trail is iffy at best, as some seem to go, yet others simply will not no matter what you do short of the beader tool and tank! Anyones guess? Try not to let them get too low, as stated! A leakey tire or rim should be addressed before the trial if at all possible! :dunce: