Oil Changes

steve1979

Hi guys,

I usually change the oil every second weekend, probably a bit over the top, but for all the price of the oil i like to keep it fresh. When i change it there's usually a metallic look to the oil as you would expect really, my question is, would it do harm to pour say 100ml of diesel through the filler hole and let it drain straight through, to flush any metallic grains that would be resting in the sump, perhaps i'm getting to fussy :thumbup:

Cheers

Steve

Hi again Deckmaster01,lol

Yes you could be right, i was concerned wheather it would damage the fibre clutch plates i didn't think about the seals, it was just an idea that popped into my head, i'll just stick with regular oil changes, i use atf dexron III.

Cheers bud

Hi

The former norwegian GasGas importer always run the engines he had in for service one minute with kerosene instead of oil in the gearbox to "clean it out" as he said. It sure cleaned it out, but I dont know if there was any harm done by it.

Kerosene is AFIK pretty much the same as diesel only "cleaner"?

-Jan

Hi

The former norwegian GasGas importer always run the engines he had in for service one minute with kerosene instead of oil in the gearbox to "clean it out" as he said. It sure cleaned it out, but I dont know if there was any harm done by it.

Kerosene is AFIK pretty much the same as diesel only "cleaner"?

-Jan

The ATF is a good "cleaner" and actually old mechanics used to add a pint or two before an oil change to flush out an engine before an oil change. The Pro engine has, in a way, a centrifical "filter" to trap small particles. When you take the spring off the clutch pack, you'll see trapped particles in the recess.

I like to change my oil every 5-10 hours. It only takes a few minutes and the Pro engine has a lot of extra stuff to lube than a "regular" engine.

Jon

The ATF is a good "cleaner" and actually old mechanics used to add a pint or two before an oil change to flush out an engine before an oil change. The Pro engine has, in a way, a centrifical "filter" to trap small particles. When you take the spring off the clutch pack, you'll see trapped particles in the recess.

I like to change my oil every 5-10 hours. It only takes a few minutes and the Pro engine has a lot of extra stuff to lube than a "regular" engine.

Jon

By the way.. Is this You Jon? :-)

Stoodley.gif

-Jan

By the way.. Is this You Jon? :-)

Stoodley.gif

-Jan

Actually, Jan....that is my Evil Twin, who is bent on destroying all forms of accurate

advice given to Trials riders regarding problems with their Trials bikes.

I, on the other hand, am the Good Twin, and you can believe everything I say............

Jon

Yes, that mug is, unfortunately, mine. I do look much better now with the long hair I've grown after the sex-change operation.......

Edited by JSE

Actually, Jan....that is my Evil Twin, who is bent on destroying all forms of accurate

advice given to Trials riders regarding problems with their Trials bikes.

I, on the other hand, am the Good Twin, and you can believe everything I say............

Jon

Yes, that mug is, unfortunately, mine. I do look much better now with the long hair I've grown after the sex-change operation.......

hehe.. Your looking good. Forever young that is.

Well since I showed your face I will be polite enough to show mine. Here is mine. Picture taken when on my first competition got on the podium in a Scandinavian race. Only reason I got on podium was that I was alone in my class :-)

jan.jpg

-Jan

hehe.. Your looking good. Forever young that is.

Well since I showed your face I will be polite enough to show mine. Here is mine. Picture taken when on my first competition got on the podium in a Scandinavian race. Only reason I got on podium was that I was alone in my class :-)

jan.jpg

-Jan

Well, a win is a win, and you look pretty happy...:dunce:

" Forever young that is". At 67 years old, the joke George Burns always used often comes to mind (I think it was George), when he was almost 100 was "If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of my body"......

Jan, what do you think about oil change routines? I've always advised 5-10 hours or after a muddy or wet Trial on the Pro. I've found that a change after a wet Trial is almost mandatory for most bikes as the vent tube will suck water into the cases on a regular basis (like the alternator sidecover does). The Pro engine is a little less vunerable as the vent tube goes up under the tank, rather than down the back of the cases, but I don't like to take chances.

I like to change the oil after running the engine a little to get it warmed up and every time I've checked the clutch the cases are clean, so I probably would not recommend a solvent flush. Regular oil changes seem to be the best remedy for a clean engine. Steve says he changes the oil every 2nd week, and that sounds like good maintenance to me.

Jon

Well, a win is a win, and you look pretty happy...:dunce:

" Forever young that is". At 67 years old, the joke George Burns always used often comes to mind (I think it was George), when he was almost 100 was "If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of my body"......

Jan, what do you think about oil change routines? I've always advised 5-10 hours or after a muddy or wet Trial on the Pro. I've found that a change after a wet Trial is almost mandatory for most bikes as the vent tube will suck water into the cases on a regular basis (like the alternator sidecover does). The Pro engine is a little less vunerable as the vent tube goes up under the tank, rather than down the back of the cases, but I don't like to take chances.

I like to change the oil after running the engine a little to get it warmed up and every time I've checked the clutch the cases are clean, so I probably would not recommend a solvent flush. Regular oil changes seem to be the best remedy for a clean engine. Steve says he changes the oil every 2nd week, and that sounds like good maintenance to me.

Jon

I agree on that. Although I probably isnt that regular I also like to change about every two weeks as it is a very cheep ensurance. Easy and quick operation too. A couple of minutes riding first to get the oil sweet and warm makes it easier.

Warming up really does a difference. When draining my 300 before taking it apart this spring I didnt had the chance to start it up first. As it was about 3-4 below zero (celsius of course) in my garage I almost had to lick the oil out of the engine like syrup.. :-)

-Jan