Setting Timing On A 2007 290

branc

hi all

Want to check the timing on my bike as it is knocking when up to temp, I am told its pre ignition causing this.

Can the timing be checked with a timing light?

The bike has had a new piston and rings recently and has extra base gaskets to tame the beast which is prob the cause of the knock, it only happens from tickover.

thanks in advance (no pun intended)

Hi

We run an 07 290 with v force reeds and have the ignition backed off. We align the mark with the centre of the stator retaining bolt.

We also run with a 38 pilot jet on a 60:1 98 octane petrol oil mix and this works well for us.

Geebee

Cope, did you ever try a timing light on the 250 ? I was just pratting about with the timing light and it shows it forward of the stock timing marks in the manual posted for the 290, I retarded it about the same as you did on your 250 when I got the bike, I'm thinking with the smaller bore and stroke the position will be different than the 290 ?.

It runs spot on, but I have sweet **** all to do but mess with bikes :dunce:

Cope, did you ever try a timing light on the 250 ? I was just pratting about with the timing light and it shows it forward of the stock timing marks in the manual posted for the 290, I retarded it about the same as you did on your 250 when I got the bike, I'm thinking with the smaller bore and stroke the position will be different than the 290 ?.

It runs spot on, but I have sweet **** all to do but mess with bikes :D

No, my '07 is still a 2.9. The referance pic I took when new reveals there was no tic mark on the outer case for timing referance using a light. And there was also no tic mark upon the casting web, but rather, my mark upon the stator plate was aligned with the edge of the casting web and I retarded it from there to the point is is at which may be just a mm or so past the center of the stator retaining screw and roughly 5mm from the casting edge(the pic illustrates 4mm) as I split the difference after testing and that is where it has been.

I rode Laura's '09 2.5 at TTC, in stock trim it was near perfect it seemed, sweet bike, although I did not get enough time on it, I might kick it back a bit as well, yet just a bit. No idae were it was set though.

I never got rid of the pinging on mine for the longest time. It was noticable at about 1/8 throttle as one would cruise on the loop or road in 4th gear. Tried all sorts of settings with needles and jets and it did not settle doun untill I went to the #38 pilot jet which also took the needle into a more acceptable range of about 2.5 turns. Seems to work. Never had to go there before, but much I attribute to the alcohol in the fuel we get. And then also the transition range of the dellorto. :dunce:

• 1 month later...

just a quick update on this I adjusted the timing on the bike and it was still much the same although it now starts first kick everytime which is good, anyway I started investigating the matter further as it sounded like a carb problem of some sort, stripped down the bike today and all looked as it should be also cleaned the reeds and carb again for good measure and it was only when putting the carby back on I noticed that the fuel line where it goes into the carb looked to be pointing in the wrong direction, I had this off before so I must have put it back at the wrong angle and also the fuel hose seemed very long so to cut a long story short I moved the angle of the pipe on the carb and chopped about an inch and a half off the fuel line so it had a direct route into the carb rather than looping up and down and its cured it :rotfl:

thanks for the help ill try it out on sunday and it seems better now with the timing retarded, not as snappy and not kicking back and first kick does it :)

Edited by branc