07 300 Pro - Boiling Gas?

experiment70

I just upgraded from an 03 280 Pro to an 07 300 Pro. I'm riding in the same area, doing the same climbs, etc, and have been having problems with the 300 stalling out on long climbs where the 280 had no problems. It seems to be heat related - the last time it happened, I simply opened the gas tank, venting the pressure, and it fired back up. The vent hose is not blocked. I'm using the same pre-mix at the same ratio - 70:1. It seems as though I'm boiling the gas. Is this common? Does the 300 run hotter than my old 280? Am I running too lean? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks,

Forrest

I guess it will be the inline one way valve on the tank breather, I've seen loads of bikes do this.

The ball inside them gets forced closed somehow then the tank pressurises due to the heat and your bike runs rubbish as it's getting force feed fuel.

Either remove the one way valve or drill a tiny hole in the plastic ball to stop it sealing closed.

Thanks for the replies. I do need to go back through the carb and make sure I don't have any of the issues mentioned. I did just go and check the cap again, and I can tell that sometimes the valve is closed, sometimes open, and it seems that when it is closed, it is not letting air out. Which way is supposed to be the "one way" - in or out? I just poked a piece of safety wire through the hole, and now it seems to be open in both directions. Would I need to disassemble the cap to drill any holes or remove the valve, or can I just run a tiny drill bit through the vent hole?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Forrest