Keihn Help !

jsygasgas

hi just received a brand new keihn carb for my 08 gasgas 125 finally got it all on fitted fine then connected the fuel tank and it overflowed with petrol so we gave the float bowl a tap still overflowing took it all apart everything seemed fine has anyone else had this problem or can give some advice would be much appreciated

Ben

hi just received a brand new keihn carb for my 08 gasgas 125 finally got it all on fitted fine then connected the fuel tank and it overflowed with petrol so we gave the float bowl a tap still overflowing took it all apart everything seemed fine has anyone else had this problem or can give some advice would be much appreciated

Ben

Ben,

Usually the only two reasons the Keihin will overflow (if otherwise properly adjusted) is grit in the needle seat holding the needle off the seat a slight amount (which you have apparently already checked for) and the floats hanging up somehow on the sides of the bowl. Make sure the float arm is free and does not bind anywhere in it's travel. it's fairly fragile and can easily be bent out of alignment.

Jon

Ben,

Usually the only two reasons the Keihin will overflow (if otherwise properly adjusted) is grit in the needle seat holding the needle off the seat a slight amount (which you have apparently already checked for) and the floats hanging up somehow on the sides of the bowl. Make sure the float arm is free and does not bind anywhere in it's travel. it's fairly fragile and can easily be bent out of alignment.

Jon

thanks mate will give it a bash first thing tomorrow if not will just send it back :thumbup:

Hello Ben,

As Jon advised, strip out the needle valve and check for dirt under the valve seat, Remember to fit an in line fuel filter with these carbs as they have no internal filter. I guess you have the longer (inner) throttle cable too.

Bye, PeterB.

Got the keihn on and fitted at last rode it round for a bout an hour or so bike seemed to be going great the carb is setup correctley for a 125 and then it started making the noise as if it had no petrol so i tooped it up with petrol adn it was still make the noise and stalling whenever i gave it some revs on tickover any help or ideas would be much much apreciated

Thanks in advance Ben smile.gifsmile.gif:

just received my keihn carb for my gasgas 125 08 it ran great for about 1 hour then it started dying on me i thought it was running out of juice but i topped it up and it was still doing it cleaned the carb the airbox everything checked the needle float level perfect ran it again ran fine for about minute or so then it started doing it again then it just died put the dellorto back on for this weekends trial bike ran fine afterward s

pleaspleaseplease help me

Thanks in advance ben

just received my keihn carb for my gasgas 125 08 it ran great for about 1 hour then it started dying on me i thought it was running out of juice but i topped it up and it was still doing it cleaned the carb the airbox everything checked the needle float level perfect ran it again ran fine for about minute or so then it started doing it again then it just died put the dellorto back on for this weekends trial bike ran fine afterward s

pleaspleaseplease help me

Thanks in advance ben

I'd make sure that the carb is getting proper flow of fuel. Check to see if the petcock is operating correctly by attaching a hose/catch-can and turning it to on and reserve positions and you should get a fair amount of fuel coming out. I'd also try a length of fuel line on the fuel tank breather without the one-way valve. The fact that it "runs great" for an hour, at least brings up the possibility that the carb is not at fault.

What does the sparkplug look like when you examine it?

Jon

I'd make sure that the carb is getting proper flow of fuel. Check to see if the petcock is operating correctly by attaching a hose/catch-can and turning it to on and reserve positions and you should get a fair amount of fuel coming out. I'd also try a length of fuel line on the fuel tank breather without the one-way valve. The fact that it "runs great" for an hour, at least brings up the possibility that the carb is not at fault.

What does the sparkplug look like when you examine it?

Jon

But it runs fine with the delorto on

But it runs fine with the delorto on

What specific jets are you running in the Keihin?

main

pilot

needle type/clip position

slide

angle of float arms in relation to the bowl sealing surface with the carb

held at a 45 degree angle.

Jon

sounds to me like it has some muck/swarf in the carb. If it ran ok at first and runs ok with the other carb, it can only be a blockage inside the new carb. Just because its new does not mean its not got some swarf inside it, or muck from the tank. This could also exlpain the needle sticking problem you first had. I would strip the carb, give it a good blow out and refit it.

Edited by passenger

sounds to me like it has some muck/swarf in the carb. If it ran ok at first and runs ok with the other carb, it can only be a blockage inside the new carb. Just because its new does not mean its not got some swarf inside it, or muck from the tank. This could also exlpain the needle sticking problem you first had. I would strip the carb, give it a good blow out and refit it.

That certainly could be the case. A good technique in blowing out the passageways in a carb is to apply pressure in the opposite direction that fuel/air flows. Some of the orifices are funnel-shaped and if you only blow in the direction the air or fuel flows, for instance, you are only further lodging the particle in the bottom of the "funnel". Kinda like having a golfball in the bottom of a cone and trying to blow it through the small end with air pressure.

Jon

Gday, ditto to all above, and it might pay to check the float drop while you are in there. I'm sure you'll find the method for doing this on the net. It basically checks that the float drops enough to allow fuel into the bowl as the level gets lower. There is an adjustment on the side of the float arm for this.

Cheers,

Stork