Caustic Soda Decoking

gazzaecowarrior

I have tried Caustic soda with little or no success. The best way that I have found is White Spirit, allow it to soak for several hours, drain off the excess, stand well back and let it burn, dont worry it will soon burn itself out, then have a good tap and scrape and a lot of the carbon will come out. It worked for me.

If its a steel silencer then a hot air gun works a treat to burn off the oily deposits and make the rest fairly easy to remove.

It's smoky and dramatic once the stuff starts to burn off. I wouldn't use any fuel to get it going, the oil alone will do that.

Wayne....

All fantic exhausts were stuffed with steel wool. If you burn it out as above, the steel wool will burn completely. Then again there is no other way to get it clean. Or you cut it open, burn out as above and repack.

Look at the 200 on the exmoor videos. it sounds like a mad bee. We cut and cleaned but did not repack. It needed to go up on the jetting over std though.....

lee

Gday, if you have a local engine reconditioning place, get them to put it in their hot tank( parts cleaner) - it'll remove the carbon and paint and leave everything else. My local blokes do this for nothing for me.

Cheers,

Stork

I didnt get a good result with a hot tank parts washer, the Robowash solution removes the oily substance, but leaves the hard carbon deposits. I used a sandblaster to clean that out last time, but very gently and minimally applied, it is very abrasive to the bends.

Also I used a length of braising rod twisted into a small spiral in a battery drill, and wicked at the bends to remove the deposits to good effect.

Good synthetic doesnt eliminated burnt carbon, it lessens it. So be regular with maintenance and dont let it build up after more than a season or two.

Edited by subanator

Never have done this to a Yamaha, but did use lye / H20 on a Cta 348 exhaust.........worked somewhat.......used a propane torch to burn out the residue........also worked........ended up cutting into the silencer with a cut-off tool, repacking with glass pack and welding it up again.

Time and effort wise, the latter method was most efficient / effective. So if you weld........