Gas Gas Boy Electrics

16000rpm

My son has a gas gas boy 50 and the spark is very weak so the bike wont start,i suspect the stator is at fault and after contacting gas gas uk i am told that a new part is no longer available and i can only have an exchange re con unit and have to wait a number of weeks.Has anyone looked into fitting another system to one of these bikes? as it would seem that it is a common type of failure .My neighbour has bought a gas gas boy for his son and would you beleive it he has the same problem. NO MORE GAS GAS BIKES FOR ME :blink: His

Edited by 16000rpm

So have you done anything to improve the spark you're getting? Have you you cleaned up the faces of the stator where it sits against the crankcase to make sure there's no corrosion and a good earth? Have you checked all the wiring; cleaned the earths and coil where they're fixed to the frame and made sure the plug cap is in good contact with the lead? I'd try all these things before looking for a new stator or slagging off the manufacturer or importer.

Hi

Yes i have checked all the items listed and i am not slagging off just stating facts , i have been riding/racing bikes for 35 years and my bikes have never failed to start or breakdown.gas gas uk told me the ignition system is unreliable and a complete nightmare so my sons bike and neighbours bike have become expensive ornaments for them to sit on in the garage and push around .I have a gas gas 350 trials bike and cant praise it enough but after the problems we are having with these two small bikes you can understand my disapointment,both lads have not even had a chance to ride the bikes,a great introduction to trials ? i think not.

Edited by 16000rpm

Hi

Yes i have checked all the items listed and i am not slagging off just stating facts , i have been riding/racing bikes for 35 years and my bikes have never failed to start or breakdown.gas gas uk told me the ignition system is unreliable and a complete nightmare so my sons bike and neighbours bike have become expensive ornaments for them to sit on in the garage and push around .I have a gas gas 350 trials bike and cant praise it enough but after the problems we are having with these two small bikes you can understand my disapointment,both lads have not even had a chance to ride the bikes,a great introduction to trials ? i think not.

Have a look for Motoplat.UK and see if Steve can help you, quick turns reported! :blink:

My lad had one of these and I have a lot of experience on dealing with the known electrical issues around the stator/CDi unit and trigger unit.

Had similar electrical issues. I would change the CDi / electronic ignition unit - costs around

Hi thanks for the reply,i am investigating a permanent repair by throwing all of the gas gas electrics in the bin and developing a whole new system for the gas gas boy.i should have some news within the next week for any gas gas 50 owners who want a long last cure to this on going issue .Shame gas gas could not bother to do the same as they are otherwise an excellent little bike.I have no complaints with gas gas uk as they have been more than helpfull with information and buy all my parts for my 350 from them.

I had a similar problem with a weak spark on my lads 50 also it seemed to eat plugs like they were part of the staple diet. I noticed that the Gas Gas uses a rear earth, which I

This is good news for some, if you are capable of building your own mousetrap! Yet I would highly recommend that you pay the pittance and at least become a TC Member prior to any attempt at peddling your wares on this site. Then, and only then, will you even have rights to respond to the gods of TC. Untill then, you might as well be from China!

I believe what you may be attempting is for the general good, and probably for little or no profit, yet there are still "site nazis" around here that will find offense and cut off your little wires as quick as nipping sheep! The Das Furehr had certain mandates you see, which must be maintained!

All this is not for the worse, as for all we know, your engineering skills may royally suck, and that is not promoted here. Hope you get the drift, dude! :huh:

Well dude i am not sure if i get your drift :o i have a good career as a lecturer in engineering so i dont have to peddle my wares on this site or any other,i was just wishing to pass my knowledge and experiance onto other owners of the gas gas 50, i am quite happy to withdraw the offer of helping out owners who may be having issues with the txt 50.

Regarding becoming a TC member i will give it some thought ,does it mean i will get the code to unscramble you your post ? :D

I have had some time to think over my offer to help out other txt50 owners and have decided to withdraw it,i am a member of a number of other bike forums and thought that the idea was to support/help and work on tech issues with like minded riders and not to suffer the complete nonsense posted by likes of copemech.best of luck to txt50 owners in the future and perhaps copemech can offer you a solution :P

Edited by 16000rpm

Well dude i am not sure if i get your drift :huh: i have a good career as a lecturer in engineering so i dont have to peddle my wares on this site or any other,i was just wishing to pass my knowledge and experiance onto other owners of the gas gas 50, i am quite happy to withdraw the offer of helping out owners who may be having issues with the txt 50.

Regarding becoming a TC member i will give it some thought ,does it mean i will get the code to unscramble you your post ? :D

I have had some time to think over my offer to help out other txt50 owners and have decided to withdraw it,i am a member of a number of other bike forums and thought that the idea was to support/help and work on tech issues with like minded riders and not to suffer the complete nonsense posted by likes of copemech.best of luck to txt50 owners in the future and perhaps copemech can offer you a solution :o

OK Albert, No offense meant or taken! If you notice, I deleted my prior post!

There were basically three points I was attempting to make to you.

1- I believe what you are doing is for the good!

2- The rules on this site do not allow you to sell! Few exceptions are made by the moderators and even in a case like this it should be on a non profit basis and more of an offering, as my experience suggests. If it is questionable, it may well be deleted, which leaves all at a loss.

3- Only time will tell if yours may work "better"! Be more reliable and such. You are not there yet! Lucas had good intentions!

Hope you understand, as in a twisted sort of way, I am actually trying to help you here. :P

MC

Edited by copemech

OK Albert, No offense meant or taken! If you notice, I deleted my prior post!

There were basically three points I was attempting to make to you.

1- I believe what you are doing is for the good!

2- The rules on this site do not allow you to sell! Few exceptions are made by the moderators and even in a case like this it should be on a non profit basis and more of an offering, as my experience suggests. If it is questionable, it may well be deleted, which leaves all at a loss.

3- Only time will tell if yours may work "better"! Be more reliable and such. You are not there yet! Lucas had good intentions!

Hope you understand, as in a twisted sort of way, I am actually trying to help you here. :P

MC

Reliability of the system is not in question as i have sourced and slightly modified some stock components from another machine and other than minor mods the system a straight forward replacement :o either way the main objective has been met as it means my son can now ride his bike :huh:

Edited by 16000rpm

Dear 16000rpm, I applaud your attempt to help TXT50 owners suffering from the well know issue of dodgy electrics, I think (and hope) that the above was simply a case of crossed wires etc.

We have long since moved on from the TXT50, but I would have been very grateful for your help and kit at the time. I started going down the path of building a CDi unit from scratch, but when I found out the ignition amp was

Hi thanks for the reply,i am investigating a permanent repair by throwing all of the gas gas electrics in the bin and developing a whole new system for the gas gas boy.i should have some news within the next week for any gas gas 50 owners who want a long last cure to this on going issue .Shame gas gas could not bother to do the same as they are otherwise an excellent little bike.I have no complaints with gas gas uk as they have been more than helpfull with information and buy all my parts for my 350 from them.

Agreed (ignoring the ignition circuit :P ) they are far better bikes than the Beta 50's. The quality of engineering on the TXT is superb and they are truly miniature versions of the bigger pro bikes, we were really happy with the bike. Since moved onto a Beta rev 50 with gears and clutch :o . Cannot be started in gear, have to go into neutral, steel swinging arm that inevitably rusts, side stand that bends in the wind, rear brake mechanism that fouls the swinging arm....so not impressed

Am looking to upgrade to a Rookie 80

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a gas gas boy with an ignition problem and would like to replace the system and need help email me at racing50chris@aol.com and i will do my best to help out,the parts are from a Polini gp3 race bike but they need minor mods to make them fit and you need to fit a coil to power the fan.if i get enough interest i may produce a how to manual on fitting a new ignition system. Is there enough interest ?

• Like 1