Slipping Clutch 2002 Txt250 Pro

jimboselecta1

Hi all

I went out for a ride in the rain last friday and got very wet. After about an hour and a half we went to ride to a new location. As I was changing up through the gears across the field, I got to 4th, incresed the revs but didn't go any faster, changed to 5th, same thing happend again... Seemed fine in 2nd and 3rd? Rode back to the van (low revs almost a roll). Tried 1st, bike would run witht the clutch fully disengaed without moving (I usually get a little clutch drag when cold..?). I rode up and down the road clutch slipping in all gears (felt like I was feathering the cluch)... Put bike in van, went home...

I had changed the clutch oil on the tuesday for atf (Dexron III), I had flushed the clutch case out with fuel prior to replacing the oil so everything should have been clean and dry. I havent bled the clutch yet, but this was going to be the first thing I tried...

Anyone got any ideas what could cause this? :rotfl:

Thanks

J

Hi all

I went out for a ride in the rain last friday and got very wet. After about an hour and a half we went to ride to a new location. As I was changing up through the gears across the field, I got to 4th, incresed the revs but didn't go any faster, changed to 5th, same thing happend again... Seemed fine in 2nd and 3rd? Rode back to the van (low revs almost a roll). Tried 1st, bike would run witht the clutch fully disengaed without moving (I usually get a little clutch drag when cold..?). I rode up and down the road clutch slipping in all gears (felt like I was feathering the cluch)... Put bike in van, went home...

I had changed the clutch oil on the tuesday for atf (Dexron III), I had flushed the clutch case out with fuel prior to replacing the oil so everything should have been clean and dry. I havent bled the clutch yet, but this was going to be the first thing I tried...

Anyone got any ideas what could cause this? :rotfl:

Thanks

J

J,

There is the possibility that the clutch may need replacement or at least, an adjustment to the clutch pack width (it may be 7 years old) and if you measure the clutch finger height, that would be a good indicator. As the fiber plates wear, the pack width is reduced, which will lessen the preload on the spring. In rare instances, the fingers will extend far enough up that the servo cylinder will not be able to retract far enough to not put pressure on the fingers, and with the lessened spring pressure, will cause slippage. I'd check the pack width first.

Bleeding a hydraulic system (unless done after parts replacement) usually only treats the symptom, not the cause. As far as I can figure, air in the line would contribute to clutch drag and not slippage.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi jimbo

Did you solve your slipping clutch problem as my 300 pro is now slipping quite badly when warm, perfectly fine when its cold tho & no drag whatsoever, very strange.....

I've ordered a new clutch pack today, I figured it's a 2002 and although it doesn't look like it's been ridden alot it's possible it's done enough to wear out a set of clutch plates...

Still can't understand why it happened so quickly (in the space of about 5 mins!). It wasn't slipping at all until that point...

I'll let you know if this solves the problem, and i'll do a post mortem on old clutch plates to see if this offers any clues...

J

Excellent thanks, it will be interesting to find out...

Can't get over it myself, mine was exactly the same fine 1 minute then completely gone the next, wouldn't pull in any gear no matter how gentle i was, let it stand for an hour then it was perfectly fine again popping the front wheel in top gear at low speed

mine is an 04 so may have had a hard previous owner/s...

Thanks again

Hi skye, jimbo,

It's rare for the Pro clutch to slip at all, only real cause for this is not just wear of the plates but can also be due to the clutch fibres coming adrift from their steel plates, possibly due to incorrect oil or water ingress at some stage. Happened on occasion to some of the older style GG motors where the plates would de-laminate.

New clutch plate set would cure this.

Bye, PeterB.

Thanks PeterB,

I have priced them up & the DPK kit seems to be the best option & is recommended by gas gas but i don't know of their quality & if they will last as long but they are half price...

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Post mortem revealed worn clutch plates (springs down to 11mm! Should be between 16-19mm (see Clutch.wmv), explains the heavy clutch lever!)

New pack = all better now

Thanks for the advice

J

Actually worn plates makes finger height higher Swollen plates makes finger height lower anc clutch action heavier. I guess your clutch fibres was just swollen and destroyed.

-Jan

Good! ;)

I must mention that although new clutch fibres solves the problem it doesnt solve the cause. You may want to check the water pump axle for wear. Thats the cause for leaking water into the gear oil. And likewise maybe change the seals in the clutch slave sylinder to avoid brake fluid leak. These two factors are those who destroy the clutch.

Cheers ;)

-Jan