Beta 200 Good Novice Bike ?

martin 305

Hi there i am thinking of changing to a 08 beta 200 from my 07 250 gasser . I have had 3 gassers with no problems at all , clean filter after each ride,change trany oil after 3 trials. The gasser tends to get away from me a little [ runing fly weight and head spacer with slow action tube] and as they dont do a 200 any more i think i might try a 200 beta .I have riden one round the car park at a local trial and it seemed ok ,slightly front heavy but seemed to have a tighter turning circle and the kickstart on the wrong side was fine :blink: .The bike was an 08 but i found the motor rattley compared to my gasser .Is this the norm on beta 200s ? Also should i be looking for any other Quirks with these bikes ? I think a less powerful bike would improve my riding and have any of you made a similar change ? How did you get on ? thanks for any advice . martin :thumbup:

Had a go on a 200 Evo last night after a trial and was amazed by it. I dropped from a 280 Gas Gas to a 125 for the same reason and I think its paying of as I feel more in control.....other may argue that I'm still just as out of control as before though :thumbup:

I rode a Beta 200 for 3 years. It's a great bike for a beginner because when you open the throttle and you are not balanced quite right then you get an extra half second to move and control things compared to a 250 or bigger bike. However it is harder to feel for grip on the 200 compared to a bigger bike.

wish I had as many replies to my "plea" for help (fan running slow) We ran gassers fro 15 years (and had a fair share of mechanical problems) then had a go with mont 4rt's which were lovely to own but a real handfull ..been running 08 200 rev 3's for 18 months since new easist bike to ride you could hope for.. we don't do national /big steps/climbs any more and I can recall being lacking in power only twice in 18 months all the other several hundred sections the 200 made eaier by not being too quick off the mark. My only negative comment is that both the bikes have had the stator plate pack up at the most awkward of times and both bikes have needed new mains fitting. Fair play to John lampkin though he has replaced the stators under warranty both times. Just about finished fixing Janets bike now and feel like moving pair of them on but... I expect they will be good for at least a couple of years now. On balance I would say the 200 is a great bike for your average punter... when buying listen hard to the motor..swishing sound is bad..mains (if in doubt take plug out and kick it over). clutch rattle is ok...piston "slap" on exhaust port is ok...other than that light switching / kill button assy is crap and normal wear and tear reflects in price you pay.

Thanks for all your help with this topic :o I have taken the plunge in to Beta ownership just got a 2008 200cc rev 3 ,a very tidy bike thats had little use !! I will keep you posted as to how i get on :blink: cheers martin :thumbup: