Montesa 348 Oil. Leaks And All

tomlinson_d

my mates 348 is leaking oil from the gasket on the casing on the left hand side of the bike, it looks as though you can remove the gear lever and clutch arm and the casing will come off.

is it as straight forward as this or is there any surprises in there. also where would i find a gasket for it any suppliers in the north west or online.

the guy who sold him the bike told him he would need to use two types of oil in it, gear oil and automatic transmission fluid, is this right and if it is what goes where. i can see two filling points one on the side casing and one on the top underneath the carb.

thanks in advance if anyone can answer any of my questions.

gear oil in the plug in the middle of the engine.

atf in the outside casing (clutch)

If you cant get a gasket, take the casing off, clean surfaces of old gasket/goo/oil, clean again. Use clear silicon (my preferance is sanitary silicon

Try Sandiford's at Burnley for your clutch case gasket, the part number is 6660-113.

They have a very good postal service, I recently had one of these gaskets from them. It was not expensive.

hi

you don't need to remove the clutch arm, case should come right off ...you can download a manual and parts book from the TODO site,

when you set up the clutch make shore you have 2-3mm of play at the handle bar;;;

also when you take the cover off note which way round the the brass piston fits onto the arm there is a small recess on one side -if it goes in the wrong way the clutch will slip and the face of the clutch spider pressure plate will become worn

this perhaps spounds a bit complicated but is straight forward once you have the cover off

cheers helm

• 3 weeks later...

Don't bother with those paper gaskets. Once you have the side cover off, clean the mating surfarces on both the cover and the engine with petrol. Let it dry and apply a thin film of good automotive silastic and tighten the cover. I have been using this method for years and none of my Montesas leak oil.