Preparing A Block For Painting

shercoman2k8

Hey guys,

Just wondering, wanting to paint the block in my 06 black... what paint's best to use? What, if any needs doing apart from degreasing, should the old paint be removed considering its in perfect condition. Sanding?

Anybody know roughly how many coats of what paint/primer will be needed?

Cheers.

Also like to comment upon closure of the mechanical talk sub-forum.

The sub-forum was quite frequently used, and most questions not related to a certain bike... many threads in there about tools, general maintenance for ANY bike, stuff that wouldnt be bike specific or general trials talk. Maybe, just maybe.. it could be re-opened, take this question for example, this isn't bike brand specific so it has to go in here, where only 30% of people with the right answer will look. Mechanical I'd say 90% of people would look in there! There's a lot of people who dont venture into any other forums apart from mechanical and their bike specific one!

So yeah, any chance of it being re-opened but point out its for the non bike specific stuff?

Regards,

Jamie

Edited by shercoman2k8

To be honest, I can think of no good way of changing the color of the motor, as it appears all these parts are painted at factory prior to assembly.

the factory paint does not appear to be too special, as it softens badly if contacted by brake cleaner, probably just a decent enamel I would think.

If I just had to do it, I would seal everything and give it a good pressure wash and blasting with soap and water, wipe down ant dirt or residue, then wash again, then get after every detail with a toothbrush, then rinse and go over with a silecone and grease remover from the paint store, then once perfect, final blow dry, one light, then two medium coats from the best rattle can engine paint you can find. As if you have a good clean base, enamel should stick to enamel no prob. You could scuff areas with scotchbrite, Any corrosion must be removed.

As all your bolts are now painted, one would have to choose which to replace with new hardware, or leave alone. As the removal will break the new paint.

Be sure to mask and trim anything that is not to be painted!

And the best thing about rattle can is that you can always retoutch it if needed, easily. :D

preperation is everything when painting, the motor must be cleaned to start with, no dirt residue anywhere.

next, sand any area that has flaking paint/finish to make sure there are no edges. (any new paint will creep under this edge and the solvent will lift the old finish).

the rest of the motor should be prepared with a scotchbrite. (ask a local body repair garage to sell you a couple or you will have to by a big pack) this is not unlike a scouring pad, but is much sharper.

remove all the dust from preperation, the motor should then be de-greased again using panel wipes or spirit wipe. (again from a garage).

the motor must be painted in resonable temperatures, not cold and the paint applied in several thin coats.

using this method i have achieved some really good results painting engines.

the best paint i have found is the PJ1 high temp stuff. this is gloss black but i think they do other colours as well.

as i said at the start, dont try and shortcut the preperation, it always ends in disapointmet if you do.

let us know how you get on, post some picks?

cheers

paul.

Cheers, I know the puddings in the preperation... had a few dodgy jobs before and had to start from scratch on various items. Although its a daunting task I suppose it'll need doing properly!

Paul, where can I purchase the pj1 paint? Is the gloss black almost like the 09 sherco finish? Seen it somewhere before, just cant think for the life of me... ebay maybe.

Regards,

Jamie