2005 Scorpa

trials lad

They are a little tight to work on but not too bad. A couple of screw drivers and an allen key or two are all you need. You do have to remove the tank to check the spark plug. They seem as tough as nails. Mine is an 03 and I like it enough that I plan on buying another. Being a Yank I am not in favor of buying things from France. To make up for it I drink California and Texas wine. Besides the factory is within spitting distance of Italy. A friend of mine just bought an SY175F and it is great to ride.

Ciao

Doug Wilson

there spot on to work on you can have anything off in like 5mins apart from the carb ive neva had mine off so dont no what you need off for it but it looks like the full rear sub frame. so dont be gettin water in it

I've had to get to the carb and I've done it two ways. First time I took it out without removing the airbox and subframe. It took a while and was a pain to put back. Second time I just took the subframe (with the airbox still attached) off. It took less than 5 mins the second time. About 6 hex head bolts I think and a screw driver for the airbox rubber.

DF is right about the sprk plug, but to be fair it is not a big job to take the tank off. Two bolts, but is does take a "nack" to put it back on. Once you've done it a couple of times then you soon learn the score. I used to change the plug every time I took the tank off. On the advice of Marky Boy I now use a ...(shoots off down stairs to see which plug!)... NGK BKR6EVX. They're not cheap but I've had the same one in for about a year!

Here's a picture I took when I first took the carb out. It shows just how tight it is. Go for the airbox every time. Its easy!

post-10-1100885908.jpg

Cheers for that Boofont, I've made my mind up to buy an 05 SY250 just after xmas.

I've tried a few bikes and the Scorpa's build quality has won the day (not to mention that lovely Yam lump ;-)...did you ever have any problems with water getting in the Airbox under normal use? (not counting jet washing).

Think I had water in just once, in the middle of a trial. I'm not sure though, the bike just ran flat and then died. It refused to start so I removed the tank, then the plug. Turned it upside down and pushed the kick start for about five mins. Put it back to together and then it worked like a dream again.

Never had any water after jet washing. I've heard all the "you should never jet wash your bike because..... " stories, but for me, the jet wash is the way to go, just use care.

Need to know more... Just ask! ;)

• 5 years later...

Was just out for a three day weekend trip. Went through lots of water and mud, and the last day I thought I had a fuel leak or forgot to fill the gas tank. Bike acted like it was running out of gas and when I choked it and went to reserve, it started and ran okay. When I got home, I power washed it and then ran it to dry it out. It would not accelerate and then died. When I took the tank and fender off for access to the air filter, it had a lot of mud and water in it! Took out air filter and the airbox had a good puddle in it. Took off carb, and it had muddy water throughout. DEFINITELY recommend checking air filter evry day and bringing a spare with you. I saw a in a post that a triangle of silicone recommended to be applied to rear fender to deflect mud/water from getting to the top of the airbox. I strongly recommend this as well, and don't blast the pressure washer up the rear fender from the back of the bike. Your riding conditions can certainly affect how contaminated your air filter gets.