Boost Bottle

andy.t

Some of you may know that I have a boost bottle fitted on my TY 175, and some doubted whether it does anything to improve the performance, anyway I came across this info and thought it would be of interest , click HERE

Some of you may know that I have a boost bottle fitted on my TY 175, and some doubted whether it does anything to improve the performance, anyway I came across this info and thought it would be of interest , click HERE

back in the early 80's i put one on my italjet 250, without a doubt it made a difference, now i'm considering trying one on my 0ssa mar

cheers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the TY175 have reed valve induction? If so, the reeds are there to prevent the charge re-entering the carb. As such, the boost bottle will be redundant.

Just a thought...

What he said!

Yes, that's how I understand it...

Graham

The details do say this example is for an engine without the reed valve, but in principal they should still work similar, as fuel air rush in and at the point the reed closes the mixture bounces back, which will cross the jets yet again, then when the reeds open again at this point you get the double rich mixture which is pretty much the same as the example shown. These are fitted to engines such as the Yamaha Blaster which has a reed valve with good results look HERE

I have just noticed that because my Ty has a non standard exhaust that I can fit one of the straight inlet rubbers from an LC without it getting carb too close to exhaust, so I am going to do that, I also thought I might as well try the boost bottle, where do I get the actual bottle ? is there a right and a wrong size ?

Gday, interesting subject and I'm no expert... They are actually a Helmholz resonator and the size of the bottle and pipe work (I think) makes a difference. The Wiki thing is basically correct as far as I know but the primary purpose of the bottle is to "smooth" out pressure fluctuations in the inlet tract so it could help Reed engines. IIRC the old IT and Earlier YZ yamaha's used them on some models, as well as a few other bikes. The size of the bottle would affect the engine speed that the bottle became effective at, so you could "tune" the bottles' operation. I have a very technical description of the systems operation if anyone wants to read it. PM me if interested.

Cheers,

Stork