Wieghts: How Many Reps Per Set?

Since we are riding for HOURS, isn't way more reps than the standard 6-15 repetitons per set (until "fail" - you can't do anymore right then...use enough weight) advisable?

Apparently 4-6 reps per set is the best for developing SHORT bursts of great strength, but less endurance?

Apparently around 8-12 reps is best for developing large-LOOKING muscles, but not strength/endurance as much. I'm not a body-builder, as such, so I don't want to choose 10 reps? Bruno Cammozi is the only top rider I've ever seen who was "huge"...all the other guys are not huge...so they train for strength and not size? If so, how many reps?

I've heard that lots and lots of reps before fail (say 50 reps, using much lighter weights before fail) is good for TONING the muscles...but I want strength and endurance, not just a "toned" look.

What about the amount of weight that will cause you to be able to do 25 reps until fail?

How many reps do the pro off-road riders do?

Edited by Funtrials

Low reps gives you the best neural adaption 100% 1RM, Higher reps gives the greatest cellular adaption (60% 1RM) Research suggests, optimal fatigue between the two occurs in the 6-8 rep range.

The most important things to consider are

The energy system you want to train, when I train riders I work them anaerobicly but it depends on how/where you ride and your level.

Time under tension, always time your reps and sets otherwise you'll never target the right energy system

Tempo, as above

Pretty complicated really which I guess is why people struggle to see much improvement in their training

I am by no means a pro but have managed to increase riding significantly through weight training. I had a trainer set out a programme, but after experimentation found that it depends how naturally strong or fit you are. If you are losing more marks towards the end of the trial then your endurance and fitness needs improving.

Aim to train 3-4 times a week keep all sessions below 1 hour, train at high intensity. 1 day train strength, next train endurance/ fitness. You are looking for power/ weight ratio but fit enough to complete trial with no drop in performance at end of trial. You do not want a body builder physique as you do not need bulk and may impede flexibility. Work on core strength and try to simulate bike movements in the gymn.

Hope this helps.

I reckon if you don't get a definitive answer, then vary it. Didn't have gyms when I was a kid, and no way was money going to be wasted on home gyms, dumbells, barbells.

As kids we spent every daylight hour on bikes (engine or not), and then taped torches to the handlebars :thumbup:

I know people know a lot more these days and can target muscle groups etc, but I really believe generally they're not naturally as fit. At 14-16 year old we were lumping round Fantic 240's and I honestly don't remember being tired. I remember thinking that at the time, seeing new people to the sport and wondering how long it would take them to get to the point where they don't get tired either. After a 16 year lay off I returned to trials and got tired on a bike for the first time that I remembered (and been tired ever since :D )

Bike fitness is 90% I reckon, and I suppose how often you can get on yer bike is going to affect it. I know I'll never get back on a bike enough to be fit enough to be comfortable with my bulk, which I carefully build through Strongbow applied at regular intervals, but I know I trained the easy way when I was fit - bike bike bike - you can't hit the wrong muscle groups that way.

I reckon if you don't get a definitive answer, then vary it. Didn't have gyms when I was a kid, and no way was money going to be wasted on home gyms, dumbells, barbells.

As kids we spent every daylight hour on bikes (engine or not), and then taped torches to the handlebars :thumbup:

I know people know a lot more these days and can target muscle groups etc, but I really believe generally they're not naturally as fit. At 14-16 year old we were lumping round Fantic 240's and I honestly don't remember being tired. I remember thinking that at the time, seeing new people to the sport and wondering how long it would take them to get to the point where they don't get tired either. After a 16 year lay off I returned to trials and got tired on a bike for the first time that I remembered (and been tired ever since :D )

Bike fitness is 90% I reckon, and I suppose how often you can get on yer bike is going to affect it. I know I'll never get back on a bike enough to be fit enough to be comfortable with my bulk, which I carefully build through Strongbow applied at regular intervals, but I know I trained the easy way when I was fit - bike bike bike - you can't hit the wrong muscle groups that way.

Ahh jumpers for goalposts!

Got to agree though, we were always out on our bikes (pedal) all summer long.

Thanks, but what do you mean by "energy system". Which one do trials riders want to train?

So for bench-presses, for TRIALS, are you saying 6-8 reps?

You seem to know your stuff. :-)

By energy system I mean how your body sources the energy, its a bit technical but I'll try and explain it as simply as possible. The aerobic energy system typically kicks in first when expenditure of energy increases, as the body demands more oxygen etc to supply the muscles. Increased demand for oxygen is matched by an increase in the rate and depth of breathing and an increase in blood supply due to increased heart rate.

When the oxygen required by the body cannot be met, the body will switch to a different energy system (the anaerobic energy system), which produces energy without the use of oxygen. This is why its hard to know how YOUR working. When I train for the Scott for instance I focus highly on anaerobic training, but I focus less on this for the rest of the year.

Fatigue happens after you

So for bench-presses, for TRIALS, are you saying 6-8 reps?

Forgot about this bit, bench presses aren't really very functional for trials unless for instance you need to lay on your back and lift the bike of you very often. A standing cable push maybe more use to you as you'll integrate various muscles and systems rather than just isolating the chest.

6-8 reps is optimal for fatiguing the muscle for strength and endurance i.e its the point where you can gain on both fronts.

If you work on tempo its possible to manipulate the variables to gain strength and endurance. For example you do a bent over row with a weight that you can JUST lift 6 times without losing form. You do 6 reps at a tempo of 5-0-5 (5 seconds up - zero hold - 5 seconds down) giving you a 60 second. Then you can manipulate the rest period, leave it up to 3 minutes if its performance your after as you'll give the energy system adequate time to recover. If its weight loss go for 30 seconds as it won't have time to recover and your more likely to force the body into burning some fat.

My jobs sounding more complicated the more I type :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...