Dirt Rider Expo

spokes

Anyone gone or going to Stoneliegh ?

Went today as I'm working at the weekend.

Took a while to find the Trials Shops etc.

Should have taken my camera as the Models were stunning !! (New bike Models that is ! ;) )

Edited by Spokes

I really don't know why I make the trek to Stoneleigh every year. After queueing for 45 minutes to get in then elbowing your way through the hordes of tattooed, nose ring-ed motocross nutters all arguing about who's got the gnarliest custom paint job on their helmet, there's not actually a great deal to see for the discerning trials rider. At least JSI, RMS, LJI and Sandifords were next to each other so you could see all there was to see in about half an hour. Add a trip to see the nice people at <mention of this company is not permitted on Trials Central> in the other hall and you're done in less than 60 minutes. Then it's 3 hours stationary on the M1 before finally getting home in 5 and a bit hours, a journey that only took 2.5 hours on the way down.

Mind you, it's a day out, innit? Could be worse, I could've been at work. Some questions:

1. Where was the Sherco 3.2 4-banger?

2. How come if the Monteasa 4RT is so scarce, Sandifords had 3 on their stand?

3. Are those new clutch and brake perches on the new Betas as fragile and brittle as they look?

Took me 3 Hours to get 35 miles back home !

I know what you mean about all of the MX idiots at the show !

I was chatting to Kev at the GasGas stand when some Snot Nosed Chav

pointed at the trials bikes and spouted some crap to his mates along the lines of ' Trials is for people that are scared of Motocross ' and that ' Trials bikes should not be allowed in the show ! ' ?? ;)

I think he may have a point tho !? Maybe Trials could hold a Show of its own ?

Maybe when the National Motorcycle Museum has been rebuilt that would be a great venue for the 1st Britsh Trials Show ? The wife is an event organiser so I'll get her on the case right away ! :lol:

Being as tho we have no Trials shops in the Midlands the show was a good oportunity for me to try and buy a new helmet and pickup some bits of kit without the risk of mail ordering the wrong sizes etc.

As for the 4rT there are probably more in the country than people think.

Rumour has it that some rich bloke round here got one from Spain a while back.

I think the show this year was better than the last few years.

Dissappointed not to see a Sherco 4-stroke Trials Bike though.

The Montesas were I think the ones we tested at the BVM do -

tarted up a little.

As for those levers etc. on the Betas, will be interesting to watch!

Great idea to have a Trials only show.

Dave Renham organised one down South years ago and although

quite small it was very good.

Biggest complaint about the Stoneleigh show - No beer!!!!!

Im all for promoting/pushing the sport..but there are some advantages to it the way it is if you ask me 

Ah but.............

There is one problem with sitting in the shadow of Motocross and that is

the public and political perception of 2 Wheel Off Road sport in this country.

How many times have you told someone at work or down the pub that you have a trials bike and then the reply comes, ' Oh yeah! my mates got one of them ( Aprillia RX 50 YZ250 RM .... etc.etc. ) he goes up the woods at the weekend and gets chased by the coppers ' or similar !

The best thing for Trials would be to completely detach itself and start promoting itself as the Respectful Gentlemans sport that it is.

I mean for gods sake how many other british sportsmen or women can you list that have done what Dougie has done ? (He's a knight as well is'nt he ?)

Joe public doesnt even know who he is or what he does !!

If they are not interested in who he is then so be it! But at least if they where shown the sport and what can be achieved then at the very least there would be a mutual respect for Trails across all walks of life !

Instead at the moment in public and political opinion we just tear up the country side, make a mess of the place, polute the environment and make an unbearable row !

The only result of sitting in under the wing of Motocross will eventually be the demonisation of our sport and the loss of decent land on which to Trial !

Am I getting a bit carried away here or a bit pessimistc ?

Look at it this way you never hear anyone shouting about how Trials is thriving in this country and how more land is being cornered for Trials Practice and Competion do you ?

Tell me if I'm wrong !?

Here's a question !

If you took 'Trials + Motocross' and split it in two ( i.e. 'Trials weekly' and 'MX weekly') Which would sell more ?

Anyway back to the topic !

At the very least Trials needs an exhibition of its own !

In the words of Whitney Houston !

I believe that Trials is the future.... teach it well and let it lead the way !

AAaaaaaaaggghh ! Got a bit carried away then ! ;)