Montesa Cota 200

ikb

Hi Just bought a Cota 200, because I had two in the 80's ;)

And a few questions..

How can I tell if its a Montesa Honda? The Frame number starts MH and the front brake hub looks different to what I remember.

It's got no spark at the moment, I think its because the wrong coil is fitted, a Fesma coil is fitted and all I get when holding the HT lead is a tickle of a shock.

And to refresh my memory of points and things, the only wire used is the black from the coil on the stator which goes to the points, condenser and then to the HT coil, all other wires are just taped up behind the stator.

The resistance of the coil on the stator is about 1.6 ohms, is this about right?

And finally the kickstart problem that these bikes have, mine seems fine but i have felt it slip a couple of times! So is the fault a total breakage or do they just fail to engage???

Thanks Ian

As I understand it, the kickstart failure includes breakage. I haven't had a failure on mine yet because I always set the kicker well before kicking. That's the key. No flailing at the kicker like some people do.

As for spark, I'd pull the rotor, clean and reset the points/timing, replace the condensor, relocating it to under the tank, and go from there. There is a slim chance of a source coil failure, but just check for continuity breaks and you should be OK.

MH200s had red tanks.

Found the spark and had it started...lots of top end rattle though!!!!!

I have checked the gaps between the rings and piston and its more than 0.15mm which seems a bit much, are pistons still available? I ve rung Sandifords and they dont have any?

Ian

Found the spark and had it started...lots of top end rattle though!!!!!

I have checked the gaps between the rings and piston and its more than 0.15mm which seems a bit much, are pistons still available? I ve rung Sandifords and they dont have any?

Ian

Try dave renham I think he has good stocks or knows where to get stuff. In motion.