Txt Pro Poor Running

orange250

We have a TXT Pro 04 that starts first kick but does not rev out. It will tick over and run but as soon as you rev more than 1/4 of throttle it just splutters. When it gets warm it wont rev at all.

Tried cleaning carb, air filter and checking plug. Mix of fuel is 1.5% as recommended. Read on a search on here about it could be plug cap, any other suggestions before i go to the shop?

Many thanks

Cancel my last ;) Think it only rev'd out because I had the tank off. The only time it will rev out now is if i switch the fuel of when running and then it will rev out and continue to for a few seconds after i have turned it back on too.

Any ideas please :huh:

Thanks

Since it revs out when going lean as it runs out of gas, I would therefore guess your overly rich (would help starting as well) Now, for the source of being overly rich.

Choke on or stuck

Floats in upsidedown or height buggered bad

Fuel valve rubber tip is damaged and letting gas pour into carb non stop. (does gas drip out overflow??)

I would also just verify you are getting good fuel flow.

Also - what does the plug look like when checking it after running and it wont rev out. (note - dont shut off the gas - just kill it)

Hi Orange,

Need more info to sort out.

Did this suddenly start, was it something that steadily got worse?

It does sound as though the carb is running rich, have you checked all the carb settings as posted?

Do you have vent hoses fitted to the carb that are connected together and not to atmosphere?

Is the air filter dirty.

Does the bike smoke excessively?

If blue smoke, it could be a failed oil seal allowing gearbox oil into the crank case.

Bye, PeterB.

Many thanks for the replies guys.

Update - last night I completely stripped carb again and used compressed air to clean. Also blew out fuel hose, fuel tap and cleaned tank. Replaced plug and cap. It now runs great!!! Didnt see anything obvious.

Many thanks again guys for all your help.

I also checked the reeds - the ends are starting to wear and when looking through you can see they are starting to go thin - when is the right time to replace them?

Thanks.

I also checked the reeds - the ends are starting to wear and when looking through you can see they are starting to go thin - when is the right time to replace them?

Now would be a good time if you have the running sorted out.

Now would be a good time if you have the running sorted out.

Thanks MIKEE,

Any recommendations on reeds or just go for the standard one?

• 2 weeks later...

Well did my first trial yesterday. Really enjoyed it, did the yellow route at the Geoff Chandler Trial with Waltham Chase. Took me over 1hr and 15min to do the first lap, but then less than 30min next time round! Got two 5's - one for not making a hill and one for turning in a fig 8 (will know for next time!). The next time round I took a dab on the hill one to line myself up better. Had a few cleans but made lots of silly dabs. Got a lot to learn but cant wait for the next one :mellow: